Turbo cause of smoke?

Supra5MGTE

Nov 11, 2005
Tampa, FL
Ok, on start up it smokes, i already posted and kinda knew that stuff. But What are the signs the turbo is blowing oil, or leaking oil overnight? This thing is original and has 89K miles. Already cleaned out the IC with gas, yes it had oil in there, but not "tons" of it. So could the turbo be the cause?

bobtsgt

Apr 26, 2005
its possible. Its usually ok to have a little bit of oil in the intake path if you don't have a catch can. Another good way to know if your turbo is buring oil is if it puffs big either during spooling or decelleration after spooling up. If you are smoking up a little at start up that could be the result of valve seals allowing oil to sit in the chamber. Then when you start it up it burns that oil off. Multiple oil burns are a horrible thing to try and figure out. I just recently found out that my turbo was leaking oil out the exhaust side cause it would smoke after spooling up and letting off and everytime I would sit in traffic.

Supra5MGTE

Nov 11, 2005
Tampa, FL
I have this goofy feeling the turbo is blowing oil into the intake or like your situation in the exhaust the Cat is burning it into smoke.

mk3713

Up for sale
Nov 29, 2005
Houston
Its the turbo front seal if the turbo has minimal shaft play just replace the seals. Had the same problem replaced the seals it worked fine