Turbo boost gauge on na cluster, how to make it work.

metaphysico

Mad Scientist
Jan 2, 2008
Gainesville, Georgia
I put this here because I figure this is where most of the na to turbo people would look for the fix, and where the people who have done the conversion and still don't have a working boost gauge. Sorry if its in the wrong place or a repost,but I could not find the info anywhere. Maybe it can be combined into the non turbo to turbo sticky, but a mod is needed for that.

Now the details.
So I did turbo swap in my wifes supra and I was looking all over for what is needed to make the stock boost gauge work. Now I got a turbo cluster and the gauge worked, but the cluster was from a 5 speed and she has an auto so we wanted to keep the od light and the ect mode lights working.

So I did the tach rewire and got it working but could not find anything on the boost gauge to make it work (seached for over an hour everywhere all I found was people saying to get turbo cluster or go aftermarket). After checking the circuit on the back of the cluster I found what you have to do to make the gauge work on a na cluster. You need the boost gauge and "white box" from a turbo, and some wire.

Here is the breakdown of the difference, on the na the volt meter gets a full ground and full power to run the gauge. On the turbo it uses the full power but it runs the ground through the boost sensor. So if you hook up the white box on the sensor you will get the volt meters full ground unless you cut the circuit on the board to stop the full ground, then with the white box wired in it will supply the ground for the gauge. Here is the pic of the circuit cut, on the turbo this circuit stops in two places and is not a direct path to where the wire is attached.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Most people just put in an aftermarket gauge, since the stock gauge is so slow to react, and only goes to 8psi?
In fact most turbo guys get rid of the boost gauge and put in a volt meter.
ps- nice detective work, though.

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
im going to keep my na gauge cluster. will my volt meter gauge still work? im putting a prosport gauge in the glove box.

metaphysico

Mad Scientist
Jan 2, 2008
Gainesville, Georgia
^ Yes volt meter will still work, but you will have to do the tach rewire in order to make the tach work, and your speedo will most likely be off. Mine reads 80 at 60.

I figure most people go after market I figured some people may want to go to the stock gauge instead of the volt meter. Or at least use the stock one temporarily just to make sure boost works.

Also I left out the info about the wiring it will have to be run from the sensor to the dash harness (na has the wire in the dash too just got to connect to it.

twan

Supramania Contributor
Oct 18, 2009
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
oh i recently put a 1989 7mgte in my 1988 na and the engine harness has this connector that mates up with the chassis connector but the chassis connector has 3 wires and the engine harness has 6 i think and non of them match up. so i left it out. is that for the boost gauge? im assuming because i bought a turbo cluster and changed the boost gauge to my voltmeter and everything works fine