Turbo bigger or smaller

peter551984

Aug 16, 2008
Puerto Rico
Some people recommend me to use a turbonetics t60-1 ball bearing for a daily driver of 18psi, but some other recommend me to use a t66 ball bearing… I know that a smaller turbo will be better in a short run, but a bigger turbo will be better some other application… the thing is that I think that by putting a smaller turbo comparing to a t66 o t67 ball bearing, it will be a better reaction but the question is …… what turbo will be better for a long run?

Cz.

CAR > FAMILY
Mar 31, 2005
Seattle, WA
We need to know what your goals for the "long run" are before we can tell you what is best.
high HP? best response? pump gas only? etc. The answer isn't going to be the same depending on what you want out of the car.

peter551984

Aug 16, 2008
Puerto Rico
Ok, I really want a quick reaction on a start and a great respond on the way.... making a 11.3 in a quater mile and being capable of doing 160mph on a freeway... without having a aftermarket ecu....

lowtaco

Jul 8, 2009
Under a damn Toyota
Just an 11.3? LOL! Just kidding, your plans are still vague but either way your going to have to run some type of aftermarket ecu or piggyback setup. What is your engine setup, mods and plans?

supraguy31

May 10, 2005
Pembroke, NC
Cz.;1466769 said:
We need to know what your goals for the "long run" are before we can tell you what is best.
high HP? best response? pump gas only? etc. The answer isn't going to be the same depending on what you want out of the car.

Ok, Let me throw some Ideas in here so you can tell me what would be best.

Goal:550-650hp
Drag Times: Anything Under 11s
Boost: Whatever is safe on Pump but will run race gas if needed just for Dyno and track
Spool: Decent Spool but will pull through any RPM range.

Turbo Currently: GT66 with 720cc Injectors on MAFT Pro.

Wants: Turbo that will get me to that range and if I want Higher will support that also. Something that I will not need to change if I want to go 700hp but still have decent Spool Charactertics.

If I can get something like this, Im more than willing to sell the GT66

Robert

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Those are some big serious numbers you are throwing around there HP wise. Your obviously planning on running a properly built bottom end? Hope so.

As far as turbos go I really would lean towards a turbonetics if I were you and had my heart set on a BB turbo. They have a no fault warrenty policy that is hard to beat. The guy told me they don't really care if you feed a small rabbit throgh the thing, they will replace it within the warrenty period.

With a bb turbo this is a BIG deal, trust me...I know from recent experience. Do a quick search for my GT4088r carnage thread. I lost it after only 80km (granted my fault) and Garrett wanted 1800 bucks to replace it. Turbonetics would have been free.

But man do I love how responsive a BB turbo is though.

supraguy31

May 10, 2005
Pembroke, NC
I heard that Turbonetics are just plain old garbage turbos. Im not against them but It would be great to find one that would work well. And Specific Models that you recommend to look at?

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Plain old garbage turbos? Who the hell fed you that load of BS?

Turbonetics use a Garrett cartridge for the most part. There really are not a who lota turbo menufacturers around.

The majority of companies use rebranded parts from only a handful of quality manufacturers. Unless you are referring to counterfit ebay ones, then I would agree, the mojority of those are not worth risking in your ride. I wouldn't run one anyways.

supraguy31

May 10, 2005
Pembroke, NC
Well, Again Ive never ran one and Im not again them, Thats just what I have heard from others. Maybe they have bought turbonetics that were not True turbonetics turbos. I just want one that will give me great Numbers on Pump gas and If I want to go race fuel have plenty of room to go up from there.

Ive always has T series turbos but there sorta older technology. Trying to find something that will compare to a T66 turbo but better response and Higher numbers.

So with that said, Any recommendations.

Robert

peter551984

Aug 16, 2008
Puerto Rico
I really just ask in many places and every told me that for a combiantion of arp studs, hks head gasket, .04 pistons, eagle rods, engine balancing, autometer gauges, VPC, APexi NEO, is better a t67 precision...

crucialval

Dec 30, 2008
Sylva nc
how much are you trying to spend? I think ill go for the borg warner S400-66 w/t4 rated at 950 with the racing housing.cost about $1300.
The Turbonetics GTK is said to be one of the best but will set you back about 2k.

peter551984

Aug 16, 2008
Puerto Rico
Ok Basically from recent experience I just saw that big is not bad and also smaller is not bad it all depends on what you want and what are your goal, but the best is not to put a big turbo since it will create a turbo lag, and smaller since it can limit you on high speeds, so basically and medium size turbo is perfect and everything else depends on set up...