Turbo A TB and FFIM?!?

oscolivar1

Supraism
Feb 8, 2006
Virginia beach
Well i bought a Turbo A TB for $250.00 which i thot was a great deal since there is only 500 made. I wanted to keep the stock engine bay look The problem is that I finally came with the decision to get a FFIM.

I know a Q45 is around 150ish plus shipping, but i would just like to know your guys opinions if i had someone fab up a FFIM adapted to a Turbos A TB.

Im only shooting for about 450-500.
I know people have made 400+ easily on the stock TB so I don't see why it would be a bad idea to do so, but i would still like to know yalls opinions.

Incase some of you don't know a Turbo A is a 65mm and stock is 60mm

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
shouldnt be a problem. just take the stock flange and have it bored out the extra few mms and youll be right as rain.

BoostedFloto

Aug 16, 2005
Tampa, FL
i dont know why people pay 250 for the turbo A TB.... bore out the stock tb by 5mm and put in a 5mm throttle plate and its the same thing. you can find 65mm throttle plates in the junkyard for a dime a dozen.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
BoostedFloto said:
i dont know why people pay 250 for the turbo A TB.... bore out the stock tb by 5mm and put in a 5mm throttle plate and its the same thing. you can find 65mm throttle plates in the junkyard for a dime a dozen.

Really!! :icon_conf

Ever tried to do this yourself?

What's the pricing from the machinist to bore the TB?

And what throttle body plates from other cars fit a 65mm TB with the holes in the proper location for the actuator bar?

I would love to know ;)

Oliver - If you decide to use the Turbo A TB...stick with the stock manifold. You will have to have it bored to match the Turbo A TB. If you decide to go with a FFIM, use the Q45 or one of the other TB's available.

BoostedFloto

Aug 16, 2005
Tampa, FL
jdub said:

And what throttle body plates from other cars fit a 65mm TB with the holes in the proper location for the actuator bar?

I would love to know ;)

Oliver - If you decide to use the Turbo A TB...stick with the stock manifold. You will have to have it bored to match the Turbo A TB. If you decide to go with a FFIM, use the Q45 or one of the other TB's available.

well i have a machinist friend who would do it lol...dont know about actual pricing but to bore something 5mm i dont see it being much :dunno:

as for the plates... theres a couple of fords that have them that work pretty well.... ill see if i can get his info on them as i dont remember.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
BoostedFloto said:
well i have a machinist friend who would do it lol...dont know about actual pricing but to bore something 5mm i dont see it being much :dunno:

as for the plates... theres a couple of fords that have them that work pretty well.... ill see if i can get his info on them as i dont remember.

So, basically you pulled your previous comment out of your proverbial arse ;)

Got news for you...I've tried to take the stock TB apart. It's not that easy. Finding a plate that will fit is not that easy either...tried that too...none of the Ford plates I saw will work. The attachment holes do not line up. And the machine work is not what I would call "being much"...the TB has to be precisely bored (or you will have pirate air leaks) similar to a motorcycle cylinder.

Realize most of us do not have a "machinist friend"...most of the cost is in the set-up. The more precise the machine work, the more it's going to cost. The amount of material removed has nothing to do with it.

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
It will cost 185 to 250.00 to bore the stock throttle body, make a new plate, and install, depending on the hourly rate a machine shop will charge. Usually takes about 3 hrs start to finish.

oscolivar- If you get a ffim made to fit the "A" throttle body, you can always cut the flange off in the future, if you change your mind. Then you can have the new flange welded on.

PowerTrip Performance

Custom Fabrication
Dec 5, 2005
Oregon
www.myspace.com
jdub said:

I would love to know ;)

Thank god not everyone here is so simple minded!!! I'm sure homeboy has really never done it, just thought crossed his mind one day ;-)

PowerTrip Performance

Custom Fabrication
Dec 5, 2005
Oregon
www.myspace.com
jdub said:
So, basically you pulled your previous comment out of your proverbial arse ;)

Got news for you...I've tried to take the stock TB apart. It's not that easy. Finding a plate that will fit is not that easy either...tried that too...none of the Ford plates I saw will work. The attachment holes do not line up. And the machine work is not what I would call "being much"...the TB has to be precisely bored (or you will have pirate air leaks) similar to a motorcycle cylinder.

Realize most of us do not have a "machinist friend"...most of the cost is in the set-up. The more precise the machine work, the more it's going to cost. The amount of material removed has nothing to do with it.

Amen again!!! I'm really starting to like you.

sethron71

Authorized Vendor
Jul 19, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
www.SethIngham.com
oscolivar1 said:
Well i bought a Turbo A TB for $250.00 which i thot was a great deal since there is only 500 made. I wanted to keep the stock engine bay look The problem is that I finally came with the decision to get a FFIM.

I know a Q45 is around 150ish plus shipping, but i would just like to know your guys opinions if i had someone fab up a FFIM adapted to a Turbos A TB.

I know people have made 400+ easily on the stock TB so I don't see why it would be a bad idea to do so, but i would still like to know yalls opinions.

Is it the same bolt pattern just a larger bore? If to that can be simply done. PM me and I will shoot you some prices the TB flange change would not be any extra. I made 440rwhp no problem on the stock TB and one of my modified stock FFIM's! Only thing that stopped me was FC...lame! But anyways a bigger TB would be great in the end but most people have so many other restictions in their system that by the time it makes it to the TB there is no difference. But again you power goal should be no problem with a 5mm bigger TB. HTH

Sincerely,
Seth Ingham

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
suprarich said:
It will cost 185 to 250.00 to bore the stock throttle body, make a new plate, and install, depending on the hourly rate a machine shop will charge. Usually takes about 3 hrs start to finish.

That's about the same quoted to me when I was looking at doing this a while back iirc. Machine work shop rates are not cheap.

PowerTrip Performance said:
Amen again!!! I'm really starting to like you.

Yeah, it looks simple...turns out it's a lot harder than you would think ;)

The 65mm TB is not going to give you huge gains, but it does match 2.5" IC piping better. It will help to remove the restriction the stock size TB causes in an upgraded IC system. It's a worthy upgrade IMO if you have replaced the rest of the IC piping and are running an upgraded turbo.

If you are looking at making big HP #'s, go with a FFIM and an 80mm TB. Or if you just like the way a FFIM cleans up the engine bay. Keep in mind with FFIM's I've seen, you lose the A/C. You also have quite a bit of custom work to do.

oscolivar1

Supraism
Feb 8, 2006
Virginia beach
CryoSlash said:
there were more then 500 turbo a tb's made....

IIRC, there were 500 Turbo A cars made in black for racing.
So, they only have 500 TB, 500 bigger IC, etc

If I'm wrong someone correct me.

I have to decide by summer so i can get this build on the move.

Thanks guys for all the info.

QWIKSTRIKE

475rwhp459torq an climbin
Apr 3, 2005
Some where out there
www.cardomain.com
oscolivar1 said:

Going Turbo A TB is ok for 450-500HP I guess but not optimum IMHO. You need a bigger TB to really get those CFM's into thee intake, and long range a Q45 TB is the best solution. I have yet to crack 500RWHP on my car because of tuning issuses, nd minir set backs like finding a crack in my metal hg after a few extra uses I missed a crack. My point is with 475RWHP, and 449FTlbs of torque I feel the Q45 TB is a plus for you at this power level, and it is very responsive throughout the throttle range. That gorup A tb is rae but I'd pass

suprarich

Nov 9, 2005
ohio
oscolivar1 said:
IIRC, there were 500 Turbo A cars made in black for racing.
So, they only have 500 TB, 500 bigger IC, etc

If I'm wrong someone correct me.

I have to decide by summer so i can get this build on the move.

Thanks guys for all the info.

When manufacturing pieces, they often just make a run of parts, with little regard for how many will actually be useded in production. Put it this way, they made way more ct26 turbos than cars to put them on. Could be the same with the turbo a tb. Hell, somewhere in the world, there may be a few new units collecting dust.

mattjk

Permanent Ban
May 18, 2006
Huntington Beach
www.cardomain.com
jdub said:

I would love to know ;)

Yes. RC Engineering did my 7m tb for $190... long time ago.