Tuning.

turbodriz

mk3 onwer
Feb 25, 2006
newyork....N.c
I decided to start a thread on tuning. There alot of members who do there Own and I would love to do my own. Now I know the basics. The more air u add ( boost) the more fuel you need to add. Now i've been to the dyno a number of times but there a few things that I have yet to determine.

1. How does a tuner determine what afr he want for a simple boost level? I know at around 25psi on my friends delsol his a\f was 10.8-11-0 but how is this determined?

2. Base map? I am under the impression that this is the parameter that your car runs with in but how is this detemined?

3. That is only base map ,I am aware that there are other maps designed for the parameter that ur car is running in. More like boost levels maybe?

4.Timing? I know that timing involves the the point the piston is in the cylinder and when u get spark. I believe the more u advance it the close the piston is tdc before there is spark which leds to more compressing of the mixture and a bigger bang I guess?

All the smart ones please teach me?:1zhelp:

Last edited by a moderator:

MK3Brent

Very expensive....
Aug 1, 2005
Greensboro and Greenville NC
1. Any boost pressure below 17psi on a turbo that flows between 50-60 lbs/min I shoot for 11.0-11.4 personally with a base timing at 10 degrees.

2. Base map? I'm confused by what you mean. I guess I'd consider a base map the stock AF tables in the stock computer with 0 interference from say a piggy back.

3. ?

4. Timing becomes CRUCIAL with high boost, this was another reason I shut down early yesterday too. The higher boost level the lower timing you really want. (safety)

If you're in NC, send me a PM when you're ready to tune and I'll do my best to help you.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
turbodriz;950289 said:
I decided to start a thread on tuning. There alot of members who do there Own and I would love to do my own. Now I know the basics. The more air u add ( boost) the more fuel you need to add. Now i've been to the dyno a number of times but there a few things that I have yet to determine.

1. How does a tuner determine what afr he want for a simple boost level? I know at around 25psi on my friends delsol his a\f was 10.8-11-0 but how is this determined?

2. Base map? I am under the impression that this is the parameter that your car runs with in but how is this detemined?

3. That is only base map ,I am aware that there are other maps designed for the parameter that ur car is running in. More like boost levels maybe?

4.Timing? I know that timing involves the the point the piston is in the cylinder and when u get spark. I believe the more u advance it the close the piston is tdc before there is spark which leds to more compressing of the mixture and a bigger bang I guess?

All the smart ones please teach me?:1zhelp:

well here is some things to chew on.

Because you have more air does not necessarily mean you want more fuel or can supply more fuel for that matter. ;)

1. AFR are a ratio which actually represent Lambda. AFR of 10.8 - 11 are way to rich if running N/A. They are still a tad bit rich even on a turbo car.

2. Base Maps. They come from experience ;) Even the PnP AEM had a half attempted base map that was better to start from scratch anyway.

3. the maps you are talking about are part of the base map. The base map is the initial map that a tuner comes up with to get the car running but not completely. The other parts of the base map have to be addressed on the dyno. Injection pulse, ignition timing. It is not as cut and dry as people make it seem. And this off course does not get into the really high end stuff like PID for DBW, stepper motor control etc which adds a complexity to and already complex system.

4. close. Basically timing involves igniting the fuel but also in a fashion that when the piston is past TDC, the combustion process will aid in pushing the cylinder back down. Remember not all the gasoline inside the cylinder ignites instantly. It takes time for all of that fuel to turn into heat energy.

my advise, take some classes to gather some basic understanding off all that I posted here. It will save you the headaches in the long run.

www.efi101.com