tuning timing curve

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
i asked this before and i swore i had responses but after searching most the day i cant find it. soooooooo, i was wondering what sort of timing maps people are running and if you can post them up that would be great. either by rpm/kpa or rpm/boost would be nice. im running into a couple hicups i didnt have back in feb when i tuned it and i thought it was fuel at first but now im wondering if maybe its timing. its 30deg hotter now then it was then.

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
i have a cold advance. it is 0 from 80deg f and up. i can adjust that if needed. heres a screen shot of my timing table. im sure its too far advanced though worked great in colder weather. im just not sure how much to pull and exactly where. it would prolly be fine as is if i already had the water injection setup on the car.

p1352032_1.jpg

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
well its raining and im bord so tweaked the timing table after viewing all the timing tables i could find for turbo engines. heres what i got

p1352724_1.jpg

also tweaked the afr table from what it was. between this and the ign table i think ill be ok. i can prolly add more timing in but will wait to do that till i can go on a dyno. ill load the file and test it tomarow when it isnt raining. lol.

p1352724_2.jpg

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
so leave my timing map where it is and add those compensations? i can easily do that.

edit: nm, your is by air temp. i cant adjust by that. dangit

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
im in florida. coldest its ever been here in tampa was like 25deg. and by the time i woke up it was high 30's. lol thats in deg f btw

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
William, any way you can post a video of what it's doing?

Are you sure their isn't any boost leaks? It's not hitting boost cut? It's not blowing out the spark? It's not hitting a lean spot?

Good luck with this.

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
this is a standalone. there is no fuel cut. no theres no boost leaks. i have the boost turned down to like 11psi right now anyway. even if it was spark blowout why would i have 0 for an rpm signal?

if you want a vid, i posted my log file in that thread i posted. if you have the megalogviewer it plays the log like a video. shows the graphs moving a 2x speed. at this point im lost. if my vr sensor gap was wrong, why would it only happen when boostng? and if the module was bad, why only under boost? im going to check the plugs after it cools down. m wondering if somehow the plugs are causing something goofy to happen to the coils and then affecting the ign module and that its resetting. but why would it reset when i let off the gas? the module doesnt receive any tps or map values. im just looking for anything at this point. plugs are autolite 3923's at 28 thousandths btw

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
ok, it started raining heavy so cant do shit. was looking at the log again, and the afr jumped to 18:1 befor the sig dropped to 0. hmmm, i thought it was right after last time. unburnt fuel will read as full lean, so maybe it is spark blowout. im gona check the plugs. but also the afr's were showing 13's before it jumped to 18. even though the afr table is set ti 12.5:1. there is no eugo correction over 85kpa. soooo, i am gona adjust the required fuel setting to richen the whole map and see if that helps after checking the plugs out.

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
it is loosing the ign signal like i thought earlier. just checked the log. the duty cycle and rpm both hit 0 together at the same exact time and afr was 11.4 when it did it and timing was 21.9 at 176kpa and was at 4k rpm. so something is up for sure. idk d'oh! is going on with it. it happens at a higher rpm and boost now. so idk why adjusting the maps would change this. anyone got any tips. i need to lean the fuel back out now but i need to get this ign signal issue fixed first. the log and msq are here

http://www.msefi.com/viewtopic.php?f=89&t=35557&p=215674#p215674

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
my friend dave put it together for me. he was bored. i checked it out. everything internal looked perfect. looked at the log again and compared to the msq file. the timing isnt still working, it just reverted to the left column for the coresponding map so the ign cuts out completely too.

im making a new vr mount today out of steel angle so it wont be able to move at all. the aluminum flexs if i push on it. also im gonna close the gap from 60 to 30 and rotate the wheel and move the sensor a bit so it isnt so close the motor of the drivers side electric radiator fan. im hoping that will take care of it. if not you guys will know.

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
got info from clifton on supraforums. seems he had the same exact issue. after trying everything he ended up wiring in a fuel injector resistor and turning the current limit to the injectors to 100% to disable the flyback circuit and that resolved the issue. im going to try that tomarow if i get time and it isnt raining.

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
didnt get to wire the resistor in today. it thunderstormd all fucking day. litterally. its still drizzling outside. grrrrrrr. i did go to this local guys place and look at the 7mgte swap into his toyota truck though. he had never heard it run. his buddy did some wiring wrong. i fixed it all. found he had a bad cps. only the 1 tooth reluctor was picking up so only 1 coild was firing. then the "new" ecu he bought turned out to be bad, and the one that hsi buddy smoked from making some wrong connections (actually has burned spots inside of it) started the engine. lol. runs a lil rough but didnt have a timing light to time it and he had some coolant hoses leaking, exhaust manifold is mising a stud and leaking pretty bad etc.. so once all thats fixed and the new ecu is plugged in he should be fine. made a few bucks and best of all made him a damn happy camper. lol.

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
can anyone with megasquirt go to this link and look at my datalog? i put the resistor in and solved the vbatt spikes but loosing ign signal again. im thinking maybe spark blowout causing an issue wit hthe edis. happes ~3800rpm in 3rd and 4th. yet if off boost ive reved as high as 5k no probs. didnt try higher as 5k rules out a gap issue i think since i know the bracket isnt moving at all. could it be cause im using solid motor mounts? or do you think just shitty plugs?

http://www.msefi.com/viewtopic.php?f=89&t=35557&p=216013#p216013

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
ok, while changing the plugs i noticed 2 of my coils have cracks in them. im suspecting that under boost those 2 coils are arcing to the metal coil bracket and causing all these stupid ign signal issues. prolly making the edis cut out when its arcing like that. friend of mine has an extra coil pack thats good and im gonna see if i can pick it up from him today. ill keep everyone posted if that resolves it.