tuning/piggyback questions

bstevenson

Jun 1, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Whats up guys? Just figured I'd get on here and get some advice. I am putting together mods on my MKIII. Currently have Intake, Full 3" exhaust, lightweight flywheel, MHG, ARP head studs/bolts, HKS FCD, boost gauge, a/f gauge (all of those came on the car)

I have added, greddy rs bov, aftermarket intercooler, hardpipes, msd plug wires and ngk plugs

I am getting ready to purchase a boost controller and piggyback tuner. . .I was thinking of getting safc and avcr but just wanted to get some input first and also wanted to see what you guys thought about running the FCD along with the other electronics. I noticed that most people don't like the FCD. If anyone has any suggestions of what to run (if something different than safc/avcr) let me know why because I am looking to purchase very soon.

If anyone is really satisfied with their setup, let me know what ya got!
Thanks guys

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
SAFC is fine, I have heard that the AVCR is good but you could do better probably. Personally I would go with Blitz.

The reason people don't like the FCD is because people who don't know what they're doing (whoever installed it) get them and think its all taken care of. Really what its doing is just telling the ECU that no more air is coming into the motor so the ECU adds no more fuel so all you are really doing is making it run lean at high RPM where the ECU should have shut it down briefly to prevent this.

BTW how do you plan on tuning it?

bstevenson

Jun 1, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
mkIIIman089 said:
SAFC is fine, I have heard that the AVCR is good but you could do better probably. Personally I would go with Blitz.

The reason people don't like the FCD is because people who don't know what they're doing (whoever installed it) get them and think its all taken care of. Really what its doing is just telling the ECU that no more air is coming into the motor so the ECU adds no more fuel so all you are really doing is making it run lean at high RPM where the ECU should have shut it down briefly to prevent this.

BTW how do you plan on tuning it?

I'm going to take it to a shop to get it dyno tuned. . .just wanted to get some input on what to use. . .so i'd probably be best off just getting rid of the fcd just to be safe?

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Why do you need both? You will hit fuel cut unless you have upgraded your fuel system in some way...