TSRM Tie Rod Installation

Heggmonic

Oct 14, 2006
Montreal, Quebec
Does anyone have the TSRM proceedure for the installation of R/H inner tie ends for 86.5 thru 88? I have the 90 TSRM (which is posted) but it does not have the installation proceedures for this particular configuration. Please see attached image for part in question. I am looking for the proceedure and torque for the nut that mounts the tie rod to the rack bracket.

Attachments

• tie rod.jpg
    tie rod.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 29

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Mar 31, 2005
Vienna, VA
The manual for 1987 is here: http://www.supra.co.nz/tsrm.htm

I just looked at the 1990 manual to find that the '90 rack looks just like the rack in my '88. The inner tie rods merely thread into the rack. There's a safety washer that you need to bend, so buy new ones. I think Toyota called them "claw" washers.

The tricky part is finding large open-end wrenches that are skinny enough to fit on the flats of the rack and the tie rod. I ended up buying some large cheap crescent wrenches and spending an hour grinding them thin enough to use. That was when I had more time than money. OTC probably still makes the wrenches Toyota specs in the SST section of the manual. It's worth a look before you spend any time grinding.

Asterix

Heggmonic

Oct 14, 2006
Montreal, Quebec
Thanks for the responses, but the 86 – 88 inner R/H mounting is unique. I am really having trouble getting a tie rod that can be used on the car. There is a nut that fastens the rod to a bracket that is connected to the rack assy. I have ordered and received 2 parts, 1 from Beck/Arnley and 1 from Spicer (see picture). I tried to thread the existing nut (on the car) on these parts, and the threads bind after a ½ turn. I ordered a new nut from Toyota p/n 90179-40004 and it does not fit on the rods either. I was hoping to get some info from the TSRM that may be specific to this installation. BTW the link to the TSRM does not have the steering section..

Attachments

• tie rod.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 15

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Mar 31, 2005
Vienna, VA
My '88 TSRM shows the damper bracket is mounted to the passenger-side inner rack end. There's a large lock nut that holds the bracket to the rack end. It's marked "precoated". I'll bet you can't get it past 1/2 turn because of the locking feature. Just wrench it down to the specified 61ft-lb. At least Toyota thought it reusable.

Do the '89-92 cars not have a steering damper? If not, they won't have that bracket. I suspect you could do away with the damper and not notice a thing, especially if Toyota did away with it in '89.

If I get a chance tonight, I'll scan in the page and post it.

Asterix

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Mar 31, 2005
Vienna, VA
Heggmonic said:
I have ordered and received 2 parts, 1 from Beck/Arnley and 1 from Spicer (see picture).

The black one on the left looks like it already has the lock nut. It looks like the correct one, and even came with a new boot. Which one looks more like the one you took off?

Asterix

Heggmonic

Oct 14, 2006
Montreal, Quebec
Yes the one (in my picture) on the left (is a Beck/Arnley part, the other is made by Spicer) has the new Toyota nut, but that’s about as far as it goes on. Was afraid to try and turn it on further as I did not want to strip the tie rod. Interesting quote in the TSRM “precoated”… As you said maybe the thing needs to be “persuaded” to get it on ….LOL, I can do that! I guess the reason I did not do that in the first place is that the one that came off the car goes off and on the its mating part quite easily, but binds after a ½ turn on the new tie rod. It’s been a month and a bit that I’ve been “dickin” with this and it is getting pretty frustrating. Since I cannot return the Beck part, I’m going to try and put the nut on with some torque and see what happens. Thanks for the help Asterix!

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
the pre-89's have a larger pulley ont eh PS pump, so it has less pressure

removal of the dampner can be done with very few ill effects, the higher pressure of the 89+ PS pump took over for the dampner...

Heggmonic

Oct 14, 2006
Montreal, Quebec
Well I took Asterix’s advice and forced the nut onto the tie rod. It went on, but took about 20 lbs of torque. I put the rod on last night and took it for a test drive, all seems to be fine. I really appreciate the advice gents. Cheers, Dave