Trunk Rattles bad

carfanatic89

May 21, 2008
Texas
87 MKIII, I have 2 JL audio 10" with a 500 watt amp. and when the bass hits, everything rattles. The mirrors, rear view mirror, license plate, license plate trim, rear lights and the trunk rattles really bad and im just wondering if all of you that have a system have the same problem. Or if there is anything I can do, I can probably fix the license plate but I want to know if there was anything like some foam tape that will help, last long without deteriorating and not be noticeable. Also the side mirrors sounds like it coming from inside the mirror. My car sounds good coming but once I pass all you hear is rattling.

PlatinumTracks

Dec 8, 2008
CA
carfanatic89;1403423 said:
87 MKIII, I have 2 JL audio 10" with a 500 watt amp. and when the bass hits, everything rattles. The mirrors, rear view mirror, license plate, license plate trim, rear lights and the trunk rattles really bad and im just wondering if all of you that have a system have the same problem. Or if there is anything I can do, I can probably fix the license plate but I want to know if there was anything like some foam tape that will help, last long without deteriorating and not be noticeable. Also the side mirrors sounds like it coming from inside the mirror. My car sounds good coming but once I pass all you hear is rattling.

my heat sheild vibrated very bad and thats were most my rattling came from so i bent it away from the exhaust more.

does yours sound like this

goto 1:30

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7fdUuh0TMY

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
Remove your 2 JL audio 10" sub woofers and problem fixed ;)
We don't care how loud your music can get, just how fast it can go.............

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
Regardless of the last two remarks, I think you should keep your setup if you like it. Just don't be a nuisance to people in areas where it shouldn't be expected. i.e not so public areas.

This IS the audio section, only suggestion I have are dynamat or something like it and things that rattle against each other either tighten them or put an absorber between them...like the dynamat or 3M foam tape.

The mirrors are going to vibrate, haven't found away around it, also, I haven't tried anything for it :icon_razz

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
Poodles;1403864 said:
Nobody wants to hear your music in their car, house, or work...

Oh yes, they do :naughty:

For me, my rear mirror trim rattles a bit, and the trunklid that I plan to mat. From the interior rattle I hav just one piece somewhere I don't know... Ofcourse the rear view mirrors vibrate, but don't make any sound IIRC.

Island_Yota

Aug 5, 2008
Vancouver Island
Not much rattles on mine, the hatch trim plastic because its missing a few clips, the vents in the doors squeak. My sub fires towards the rear glass, its in a small sealed box. Just a Panasonic deck, JL W0 and an Alpine MRP-350 amp, Kenwood 4" speakers all around, and an XM reciever.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

the Targa fits, like my bungee? :naughty:

deabionni

The Lurker
Sep 16, 2007
Kalkaska, MI
carfanatic89;1403423 said:
My car sounds good coming but once I pass all you hear is rattling.

Why do you care how your stereo sounds outside of your car? :3d_frown:

I'd only worry about the rattles I could hear inside of my car...

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
^ I think those rattles on the outside make you look cheap. Supra is no cheap car and it's not so hard to eliminate those rattles.

carfanatic89

May 21, 2008
Texas
Well one of the problems is the housing that holds the taillight bulbs is rattling between them and the outer taillight housing where is snaps in place. I'm going to try to get some foam tape to outline the bulb housing and pop it back in, this should work I think.

My major problem was when I took out the hatch interior trim. I found that the (don't know whats is called) skeleton bracing for support that attaches to the outside shell (top of the trunk) with an adhesive as come apart and thats where my main rattle is coming from. I know they use it on a lot of cars for the hood bracing. Whats is this stuff called, anybody know.

I've had more complains about a loud car then bass. I live in the country and I have been told by many that you can hear my car about 3 miles away when I get my foot in it.

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
Well here is a different point of view...... You have an old car that isint getting any younger.... Every single time you turn up your "system" and you hear rattling its because things are loose.... Do you really want all these kind of vibrations going on not only inside your car but outside too? On another not, these cars dont need much to produce alot of bass due to the hatch.... One 10 inch or 12 inch is more then enough to give you great sound and would also cause less damage to our cars. But If you are that bass hungry then find another car more appropiate for it. Best thing you could do is remove all your paneling and add dynomat... Put the inside toghether again nice and tight, go to toyota and get new bushings for your hatch.... Its taking alot of pressure and you want this tight.... Its all common sense really. I say take those Jl outs and just try a one sub set up after you take care of all your loose parts.... GL (and please dont add speakers in random places, these do not make your system any louder)...........

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
ValgeKotkas;1408776 said:
What could possibly break? Metal panels in half? Plastic in half?

Break? no, neither metal nor plastic will break..... But bolts and panels do loosen up over time and why would you want to help the cause by vibrating the hell out of it.... If you want to drive a car that sounds like a shopping cart then go right ahead.....

sparkplug619

2 Supras, 1 Paycheck =[
Sep 28, 2008
San Diego California
I have 2 kicker cvr's... 800 watts each, 2000 watt 2ch amp.. Dont like it, drive with ear plugs...

carfanatic89: I tightened my license plate, added some rubber to the lining of my hatch, removed my spare tire and tightened a few misc things under my trunk lining and even underneath my car and I only have a a little tiny bit of rattling from which I cant find

btw, I have a 1600 watt system, from standing outside with my stereo on full blast, you can only hear a little bass... I have tried 1500 watts of jl audio, 1000 watts of sony xplod, and 1000 watts of memphis and its all the same, I am guessing its because its a hatch and not a closed trunk so if you think I go around disturbing the peace because I have 1600 watts your wrong

Poodles;1403864 said:
Sounds like you should simple TURN IT DOWN.

Nobody wants to hear your music in their car, house, or work...

If this is true, then why do I get compliments about my bass all the time?? Even in my girls cobalt (the exact same 1600 watt setup) people even driving on the side of me tell me how good my audio sounds

fuck the haters put another JL in there

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
Sside;1408780 said:
Break? no, neither metal nor plastic will break..... But bolts and panels do loosen up over time and why would you want to help the cause by vibrating the hell out of it.... If you want to drive a car that sounds like a shopping cart then go right ahead.....

So that's the ''damaging'' you ment...
I haven't noticed any panels loosening after two summers of driving the car with
p1409059_1.jpg

so I can't understand the problem here actually... I can't even undestand the difference between a new and an old car you speak of then...
Plus, even if something would be loose, it's probably about 20 minutes to go through almost the whole cars's screws/bolts.

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
sparkplug619;1409044 said:
I have 2 kicker cvr's... 800 watts each, 2000 watt 2ch amp.. Dont like it, drive with ear plugs...

carfanatic89: I tightened my license plate, added some rubber to the lining of my hatch, removed my spare tire and tightened a few misc things under my trunk lining and even underneath my car and I only have a a little tiny bit of rattling from which I cant find

btw, I have a 1600 watt system, from standing outside with my stereo on full blast, you can only hear a little bass... I have tried 1500 watts of jl audio, 1000 watts of sony xplod, and 1000 watts of memphis and its all the same, I am guessing its because its a hatch and not a closed trunk so if you think I go around disturbing the peace because I have 1600 watts your wrong

If this is true, then why do I get compliments about my bass all the time?? Even in my girls cobalt (the exact same 1600 watt setup) people even driving on the side of me tell me how good my audio sounds

fuck the haters put another JL in there

Its funny you dont even know how many watts your 2nd to bottom of the line Kicker subwoofers are... Nobody is hatin on your setup, mostly because there is nothing to hate.... Anyone can have the bass you have and make noise.... Its nothing special if anything its easy.... But to the public its just annoying and they dont care. One day, you will piss off the wrong person and then understand why it is important to respect other people around you while driving....

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
ValgeKotkas;1409059 said:
So that's the ''damaging'' you ment...
I haven't noticed any panels loosening after two summers of driving the car with
so I can't understand the problem here actually... I can't even undestand the difference between a new and an old car you speak of then...
Plus, even if something would be loose, it's probably about 20 minutes to go through almost the whole cars's screws/bolts.

Like I said.... If you cant lay off the bass (responsibly)..... Make sure your car is nice and tight from everywere..... When I do my setup, a single 12 inch subwoofer will do...... SQ is the main priority, not rattling the hell out of my car... Either way what you choose to do with(to) your car is all you....