True Hi-Speed wheel balancing: Anyone know where I can get this done in Hosuton?

Red Dragon

Keep That on the Down Low
Jan 5, 2006
Austin, TX
Hey everyone,

Well with the new rims and tires came some vibrations.... despite the dude that balancing them saying they are "perfectly" balanced and my use of hubcentric rings. The vibration is actaully pretty bad at high speeds, much worse than I've ever felt on a car. But I've never owned 18's, and I've heard they are much harder to balance (I would assume because the rotating mass is that much furhter out from center). But I found this place on the web that sems to offer true on-car high speed balacing upto 120 mph! (in GA thou... :()

http://www.butlertire.com/services.asp

Does anyone know of a place in or around Houston that can perform a similiar service, I really need to get this vibration taken care of.

Oh yeah and I just had the car fully aligned, and that didn't help vibration at all. Neither did installing the hub centric rings....

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
Red Dragon said:
Hey everyone,

Well with the new rims and tires came some vibrations.... despite the dude that balancing them saying they are "perfectly" balanced and my use of hubcentric rings. The vibration is actaully pretty bad at high speeds, much worse than I've ever felt on a car. But I've never owned 18's, and I've heard they are much harder to balance (I would assume because the rotating mass is that much furhter out from center). But I found this place on the web that sems to offer true on-car high speed balacing upto 120 mph! (in GA thou... :()

http://www.butlertire.com/services.asp

Does anyone know of a place in or around Houston that can perform a similiar service, I really need to get this vibration taken care of.

Oh yeah and I just had the car fully aligned, and that didn't help vibration at all. Neither did installing the hub centric rings....

Check all your suspension bushings, ball joints, and shocks also.

Joel W.

Just A Jedi
Nov 7, 2005
Washington
Also, in my experience, just because they are balanced perfectly, does not mean they are perfectly round. Look for tire runout.

suprageezer

Aug 27, 2005
Southern California
If you have never had your tires and wheels balanced on the car then you have no idea what true tire and wheel balancing means. If you have only driven cars that have had the wheels and tires removed from your car and balanced on a peice of crap balancer your are in for a major suprise when you have them done on your car. There are not many shops left that do this for two reasons, one it makes the tires last longer not a good thing for sales. two you have to teach someone a feel for it, not an easy thing to do in todays trade school deficient world. When you tires and wheels are balanced on the car things like railroad tracks seem as small as botz dotz. Here in San Diego we have a place called Trueline that still does this kind of balancing, its absolutly awesome. Think about this, everything out from your spindles spins so if everything from your hubs, bearings, bearing races, lug nuts, wheel caps, wheels, and tires are balanced together it's a major difference.
Rick

Red Dragon

Keep That on the Down Low
Jan 5, 2006
Austin, TX
ok great, so where do I get that done in TX!!

And as for checking everything else, I had NO problems with vibrations with my old wheels, so I wouldn't think this would be the problem, and the shocks are only a couple thousand miles old, I doubt they went out the same day I put new wheels on.

As for runout, why wouldn't this be compensated for during the balancing if that's what is causing the vibration?.