Trouble with Crankshaft pully bolt removal

pipelinewill

Nov 17, 2011
vancouver island
my idler pulley seized so my old timing belt is pretty worn, cracked, and just generally fucked. i've been trying to get the crankshaft pully that drives the water pump and alternator, ect. off to get the bottom timing cover off and remove the worn belt, but the bolt on the crankshaft pulley is really tight. i put the car in gear and put chalks in front and behind the wheels, then used a breaker bar with a cheater bar, totalling about 4 foot, and it wouldn't come off. i tried cranking the starter with a breaker bar wedged against the ground, no luck, then i tried an impact gun, no luck, any sugestions?am i just fucked?

this is my first post so i hope that i'm in the right category forum/ didn't create a duplicate. sorry if i did, desperate for help, thanks.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Man up or get someone else to help you.

That bolt is tightened to 198ft lbs. which after the years feels like a lot.

Ive used breaker bars, impacts, and the starter. All has worked perfect everytime.

ttsupra2503

6'8 BC Giant
Feb 28, 2012
Kelowna, BC
I would spray some PB blaster and let it soak in overnight. Try the starter the next morning wedging the breaker bar really well. If this doesn't work.... they make torque multipliers that can multipy your torque up to 20 times. I had one that did 9 times and with a breaker bar I was more worried about breaking the head of the bolt.

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/product/8160665/Torque-Wrenches/Torque-Multiplier

is what I use when I am in trouble.

Last edited:

pipelinewill

Nov 17, 2011
vancouver island
damn i wish i had money to spend on that tool right now. unfortunately i don't. my friend offered to let me use a more heavy duty impact than the one i tried, so we'll see

supra1jz

Apr 14, 2008
Auburn, Georgia, United States
I never had problem removing this bolt before with just a breaker bar but my buddy when was removing his he had to heat up the bolt till it was Fleming red then he was able to remove his and just buy a new one after that good luck

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Need to use more arm strength. 1/ 2in breaker bar and. 4ft cheater pipe should be more than enough.

ttsupra2503

6'8 BC Giant
Feb 28, 2012
Kelowna, BC
Yeah I like the tool myself. 2 foot bar is the most I have ever needed. I am a bigguy though so when I push down or pull up on something, the whole car moves lol

lunatic

A man with a plan
May 12, 2009
kuna, ID
if you can't get one of these and you have to use the one you have try going forward and then reverse on it a bunch of times to help loosen it up and some times hitting the bolt with a hammer without messing it up that can help loosen it up too

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
supra1jz;1893120 said:
I never had problem removing this bolt before with just a breaker bar but my buddy when was removing his he had to heat up the bolt till it was Fleming red then he was able to remove his and just buy a new one after that good luck

You have to be careful with this. On motors that just have a pulley it's fine. But on motors like ours that have a harmonic dampener with a rubber isolation ring like the 7M, heating it up like that can cause the rubber to fail. Not something you want to happen if you're say, at a high RPM.

pipelinewill

Nov 17, 2011
vancouver island
i used a torch and penetrating fluid and an impact and it didn't work, 2 days later tried again and it worked, i suppose i just had to be patient, thanks for the input, i'm stoked cuz it looks like i can put my motor together now without worrying about a timing belt that was rubbing against a seized idler pulley for who knows how long =)