trouble after driving

josh88supra

Nov 12, 2007
mason, oh
okay i have having a problem. i drove my 88 turbo yesterday and today since it was really nice out, i would shut the car off and the turbo timer i set to 1min 30 secs would let it run. i went out on three different occasions and started the car and when i did it had a very low idle and would shut off. i then started it and tapped the gas a little bit to get it going and then it was fine like nothing happened. what seems to be the problem???? please any help would greatly be appreciated

adicken1

The Man!
Jan 17, 2008
Memphis
The symptoms you decribed could be alot of things. You probably won't get many responses since you left your description so broad. If it just happened all of a sudden after running well prior to, my guess would be your ISC (Idle speed control) valve, buts thats purely a guess.

I would start by checking for codes, and if it spits anything out, consult the TSRM as to how to repair.

Good luck,

Andrew :drink1:

Nicks91supra

Dec 3, 2007
Clinton, Tennessee
I have the similar problem, i drove my 91 turbo all day and had no problems, parked and went into walmart, came out and had a rough idle and would shut off. after tapping the gas it stopped. this has happened twice in two days. but only if i park and let it sit for a good while... i was told it was the computer and air fuel something or other. I believe that the hot air from the radiator going into the intake where the could air was is causing it... what would anyone suggest.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
heat soak

After you turn the car off, things heat up...A LOT.

Wiring takes the hardest hit, as old wiring is sensative to the heat since heat causes resistance. If the wiring is already corroded, the heat causes enough resistance to cause issues.

Schiffer

Apr 26, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
I'm having a similar problem. I'll start it when it's warm, and the rpms will drop down to about 500, and really rough. I can give it some gas, and it will rev up, but it's still really rough. It'll settle back to normal after about a minute or so, but then runs rich for another couple minutes. My first thought was heat soak, but it's been getting worse lately, and happening more often. No codes, either.

jeffdemara

Banned
Dec 10, 2007
Vancouver
really hot day today here, HORRIBLE heat soak for me.. had to start my car 4 times to catch it at the right time and get the rpm's up...
goes away within 30 seconds though... but deffinately annoying

is there any way to avoid/fix this problem? or is it something I'm just going to have to deal with :p