Trd strut bar help

91 mK3

Laaaaaaag
Aug 22, 2006
Hayward, Bay Area
i just bought a mkiv trd strut bar for my mk3. i was trying to get it on and finally got it on. then with everything tight, i tried closing the hood and it wouldnt close. the sturt bar kept on hitting the hood and prevented in from closing. any ideas? i do not want to have to cut and weld the bar.

Bock

CNDBOOST
Jun 7, 2008
Ottawa
A quick and easy way to get more clearance, is to shim the hood using washers. Not sure how many you'll need to archive the clearance desired.

Zazzn

l33t M0derat0r (On some other forum) n00blet here
Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
take a pic of the bar.. Make sure you don't keep the nuts on the strut towers and you pull them off and then bolt it down. I've seen people keep the nuts there put the strut tower on and then put another set of nuts to hold the strut tower causing the tower to be up 2-5 MM higher then it has to be.

My friend had a TRD bar on his mk3.

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
Zazzn;1292890 said:
take a pic of the bar.. Make sure you don't keep the nuts on the strut towers and you pull them off and then bolt it down. I've seen people keep the nuts there put the strut tower on and then put another set of nuts to hold the strut tower causing the tower to be up 2-5 MM higher then it has to be.

My friend had a TRD bar on his mk3.

Good catch, it's possible.

91T breezen'

ROMNEY/RYAN 2012
Apr 4, 2005
NOYFB!
I have one on my car. It used to belong to Ron R. He had some custom mounting plates made out of ss, and then welded them on, perfect fit.:icon_bigg I'll snap a photo of it this afternoon.

91 mK3

Laaaaaaag
Aug 22, 2006
Hayward, Bay Area
zumtizzle, i did take the nuts off to try to put on the strut bar. i think wuh i need to do is widen the holes so that way theres not much tension forcing the bar to go up. i will do this on sunday and let everyone know how it turms out.

91T breezen'

ROMNEY/RYAN 2012
Apr 4, 2005
NOYFB!
Couple of photo's...my camera and photo skillz suck!:aigo: Sorry!

p1293689_1.jpg

p1293689_2.jpg

p1293689_3.jpg

p1293689_4.jpg

prism1

prizmosis jones
May 24, 2006
fresno
you can try cuting the hood support skeleton where the strut bar hits. it miht allow it to drop about an inch or so.

dustin

daledoe

KILL U
Nov 18, 2005
MAINE
prism1;1293693 said:
you can try cuting the hood support skeleton where the strut bar hits. it miht allow it to drop about an inch or so.

dustin

That works, I did that with my daily driver eclipse!!!~ Be real careful tho

Zer0DeGreeZ

Feb 11, 2008
N. KY
Strut Tower bar on MKIII's = USELESS. stick with some really really good anti-sway bars and your getting the job done easier then all this modding to put an MKIV part on an MKIII. May i suggest whiteline for the anti-sways? Although i will say i can understand a little bit, that is a rather nice looking TRD part. It adds to the cosmetics of that beautiful 1JZ.

CordiaDOHC

Jan 14, 2009
St.louis
Zer0DeGreeZ;1293976 said:
Strut Tower bar on MKIII's = USELESS. stick with some really really good anti-sway bars and your getting the job done easier then all this modding to put an MKIV part on an MKIII. May i suggest whiteline for the anti-sways? Although i will say i can understand a little bit, that is a rather nice looking TRD part. It adds to the cosmetics of that beautiful 1JZ.

I disagree. I get far less targa wobble with the strut tower brace. Lets face it it these cars arent exactly the stiffest things around they flex almost any place you could think of. Additional bracing is a good idea. Though I will agrees sway bars are definitely needed!

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Placebo...

Stiffening the front end isn't going to do jack for targa wobble as it's the center of the car that flexes.

Though I have to admit I like the TRD strut bar as it's a nice looking piece, but it doesn't do jack.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
prism1;1293693 said:

dustin

A very, very stupid thing to do...especially for a part that really doesn't do jack. :3d_frown:

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
CordiaDOHC;1293997 said:
I disagree. I get far less targa wobble with the strut tower brace. Lets face it it these cars arent exactly the stiffest things around they flex almost any place you could think of. Additional bracing is a good idea. Though I will agrees sway bars are definitely needed!

LOL, I needed a good Sunday morning laugh! Thanks!:biglaugh: