transmission won't break free, questions..

sweetlikechutny

Jul 3, 2005
Ontario
Hey guys,

I can not seperate the transmission free from the engine.

I have done the following:

- removed all 6 pressure plate bolts
- removed the release fork
- removed 8 bellhousing bolts (I don't think there are any more)
- removed the starter (but not the bracket, one of the bolts on the starter has a nut on the other side and I can't remove it working by myself, although it is very loose now)
- loosed the pressure plate and moved it towards the transmission (it moves around freely)

Also the bottom gasket has slipped out and I am able to have a large gap between the engine and bellhousing, what am I missing? Will I need to remove the starter bracket?

thedave925

Since 9/16/05
Nov 9, 2005
East Bay, Cali
For the starter, it need to be fully removed, both bolts and unit.

You have the r154, right?
The snap ring on the clutch release bearing must be removed.
First properly support the transmission and reinstall a couple bell housing bolts because you will be squirming around trying to do this.
Loads of patience is needed, having the proper snap ring pliers helps but doesn't guarantee ease.
Once that snap ring is out, you can slide the pressure plate, clutch and throw out hub assembly onto the transmission input shaft.
Carry on with removal of transmission.

reference picture for said snap ring:
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?Section=CL&P=11
The said snap ring is bottom most right on the diagram, and the throwout bearing it snaps over is almost center.
You'll see how the hub fits past the pressure plate fingers and the washers and snap ring fasten it all together

Last edited:

sweetlikechutny

Jul 3, 2005
Ontario
super.secret.supra.club;1574369 said:
drive shaft and shifter

---------- Post added at 11:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 PM ----------

taken off countless r154 and not once removed the snap ring/

Everything else had already been done (I left out the obvious things)

---------- Post added at 03:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 AM ----------

thedave925;1574363 said:
For the starter, it need to be fully removed, both bolts and unit.

so that includes the bracket?

thedave925

Since 9/16/05
Nov 9, 2005
East Bay, Cali
Copy on the snap ring, I've only pulled the clutch twice so far with another install coming soon on my build... Newb :]

Chutny:
hmm i read large gap as not having slid the pressure plate rearward lol
the starter is a pair of 14mm bolts and nuts, the upper bolt near impossible due to its access from under the intake manifold. I hope your not disassembling the starter further than necessary.
Starter removal:
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=ST&P=3

Another item to remove is the back up light sensor lead. Don't forget about hooking it back up, it's tough to plug in once the tranny is in.

sweetlikechutny

Jul 3, 2005
Ontario
thedave925;1574391 said:
the starter is a pair of 14mm bolts and nuts, the upper bolt near impossible due to its access from under the intake manifold.

its the upper bolt that I have not removed, but the starter has been removed from the bracket holding it together. Do I need to remove that top bolt?

ah what i did was i removed the insides of the starter from the housing... I guess I will have to go and remove the housing. I have no idea what I am doing in that area as I am going by feel (cant see shit!)

sweetlikechutny

Jul 3, 2005
Ontario
Hey guys,

thanks for the help, after a long battle I was able to remove the transmission, not a bad job all in all if you have a helper. Now to find out whats wrong with it...