transmission vibrating???

SiLeNcE SuPrA

I keed I keed
Mar 4, 2008
IDK
A while ago I remember going to a family get together. That night I drove back home in my '89 supra n/a on the way back I noticed the steering wheel getting harder to run around. It was late and I was tired so I decided to check that out the next morning. Next day I checked it out and replaced the power steering belt. It was shit. Half of it was gone. Idk why.

So I went to start up the car, the steering wheel was "vibrating". Strange.
I took it for a drive and as soon as I hit 3k RPM I could feel the shifter in my hands vibrating like hell. It also sounds real hard. My uncle (mechanic) told me its the mount under the transmission. The rubber was broken a bit so I bought a new one and replaced it. Topped up the transmission with gearoil (didn't need that much) and again took it for a drive. This time it doesn't start vibrating un till it goes over 4k RPM. My uncle said it might be a bearing or something (IDK). He isn't familiar with these cars. I live in Aruba and there are like 7 left alive of these supras. Steering wheel stopped after a while but now it's just the transmission vibrates and makes a loud noice when going over 4k RPM. Any help on this?

EDIT:car is manual with W58 ofcourse

A70BoosTFienD

A.K.A. Knight Rider
Oct 28, 2008
Orlando, Florida, United States
is it all the time at 4 k or under load? that and since u have viabration thats been goin on for a while, put that car in the air and check all the bolts most importantly the bolts that hold the driveshaft to the diff, the bolts that hold the diff ect..... just to be safe... from experience

SupraFreak13

1JZ Drift Celica
Jan 3, 2009
Baltimore MD
I'm having a similar problem with my 1988 NA 5 Speed Supra...It feels like the carrier bearing bushing is really worn or something. But my car will vibrate when i'm not moving at all, if I slowly rev the engine at a stand still it will start shaking around 2000 rpm. When driving there is constant vibration through the shifter...I'm not too worried though, I plan on doing an engine swap so as long as the motor last a little longer I'm not too worried.

toy fanatic78

addicted to toy's
Oct 17, 2008
Elkhart,IN
SupraFreak13;1253958 said:
I'm having a similar problem with my 1988 NA 5 Speed Supra...It feels like the carrier bearing bushing is really worn or something. But my car will vibrate when i'm not moving at all, if I slowly rev the engine at a stand still it will start shaking around 2000 rpm. When driving there is constant vibration through the shifter...I'm not too worried though, I plan on doing an engine swap so as long as the motor last a little longer I'm not too worried.

Sounds like transmission input shaft bearings.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under

Worn snout on the Main shaft.

With the car idling in neutral does it grumble through the shifter/trans and does it go away when you push the clutch in?

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
My trans has started doing weird things after the rebuild too, before there was no problem.
Shifter starts shaking at about 3+k rpm's (when driving, I guess...),
a sound like grinding has appeared when cruising at constant speed (when more throttle applied, no grind).
Plus when idling, there's knocking coming from there, plus shaking (immidiatelly after changing of the clutch disk (changed it a couple of times) there was no knock). When clutch pushed in, no knock.
I know that one trannymount bold doesn't hold right now.
I guess the tranny will be taken down soon...again.

SupraFreak13

1JZ Drift Celica
Jan 3, 2009
Baltimore MD
IJ.;1254212 said:
Worn snout on the Main shaft.

With the car idling in neutral does it grumble through the shifter/trans and does it go away when you push the clutch in?

There is no grinding or grumbling at a stand still. Pushing the clutch doesn't change the sound while sitting. There is nothing you can notice while sitting still, until you start to rev slowly, then it feels like something is out of balance, like the flywheel is missing a bolt, or part of the clutch/pp is broken. One other thing I've noticed though, is that when driving, say 2nd or 3rd gear, if I'm at 1/2 to full throttle between 3000rpm-4000rpm and I start pushing in the clutch(about half way in, before it starts to completely disengage) there is a LOUD noise that sounds like it's coming from the pedal area. I'm guessing there is some serious vibration in the clutch/flywheel that's getting transferred through the clutch line to the pedal.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Check the gear oil level, too. On my first w58, the rear seal leaked gear oil only while moving. I never had a drop of oil on the ground from my car.

It was the middle of winter, and as such, I couldn't smell the gear oil as it leaked out and stuck to the bottom of my car. One cold winter day on my way home from community college, BAM! Then my transmission grumbled in every gear, vibrated like crazy, and was just plain useless. I limped it home (less than a mile)

Pulled the drain plug, not even a drip. :( Live and learn...

SiLeNcE SuPrA

I keed I keed
Mar 4, 2008
IDK
IJ.;1253936 said:
Check if the rear and middle UniJoint are in line with each other.

I checked that and they are okay.

supra_holic2002;1253953 said:
is it all the time at 4 k or under load? that and since u have viabration thats been goin on for a while, put that car in the air and check all the bolts most importantly the bolts that hold the driveshaft to the diff, the bolts that hold the diff ect..... just to be safe... from experience

Over 4k rpm all the time, the higher the more. Even when the car isn't moving you rev it over 4k rpm it will vibrate.

Sounds almost the same like mine. I was planning on swapping also but rather want this vibration fixed, it's annoying.

shaeff;1254938 said:
Check the gear oil level, too. On my first w58, the rear seal leaked gear oil only while moving. I never had a drop of oil on the ground from my car.

It was the middle of winter, and as such, I couldn't smell the gear oil as it leaked out and stuck to the bottom of my car. One cold winter day on my way home from community college, BAM! Then my transmission grumbled in every gear, vibrated like crazy, and was just plain useless. I limped it home (less than a mile)

Pulled the drain plug, not even a drip. :( Live and learn...

I did a refill after changing the transmission mount. It's completely full.

SupraCorwin

Shadow
Oct 14, 2008
Washington
IJ.;1254212 said:

My car does exactly that, and has a slight whine from the tranny possibly in all gears but I only notice it in 1st and 5th gear.

main bearing (input shaft bearing) ?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
SupraCorwin;1255898 said:
My car does exactly that, and has a slight whine from the tranny possibly in all gears but I only notice it in 1st and 5th gear.

main bearing (input shaft bearing) ?

There's a needle roller bearing inside the input shaft that rides on the snout of the mainshaft, the case hardening on the snout is thin and wears through over the years and you get the grumbles.

SupraCorwin

Shadow
Oct 14, 2008
Washington
IJ.;1255914 said:
There's a needle roller bearing inside the input shaft that rides on the snout of the mainshaft, the case hardening on the snout is thin and wears through over the years and you get the grumbles.

Thanks for the info, will this problem eventually be detrimental to the tranny other then the sound?

I ask because I have another problem with the tranny, in 5th gear its the most noticable, cruising at 70mph+ if i let off the throttle so I am just letting 5th gear slow me down the tranny vibrates untill i hit 60mph then it totaly goes back to "normal". It only happens when I'm in 5th off the throttle at those speeds, Iv'e hit 100mph plus some with no tranny vibrate/grumble and if i let off the throttle at 100mph the tranny doesn't vibrate/grumble till i hit 80mph then stops at 60mph.

SupraCorwin

Shadow
Oct 14, 2008
Washington
IJ.;1255936 said:
It will eventually wear out a lot of parts then fail, a good indicator is when the front seal on the input shaft leaks and drowns the clutch under hard braking ;)

Uh oh... Any bets that fixing my tranny will cost more then what i paid for the car? lol

SupaMan

Want The Boooooossttttttt
Oct 12, 2006
Cape Coral,Florida
SupraFreak13;1254903 said:
There is no grinding or grumbling at a stand still. Pushing the clutch doesn't change the sound while sitting. There is nothing you can notice while sitting still, until you start to rev slowly, then it feels like something is out of balance, like the flywheel is missing a bolt, or part of the clutch/pp is broken. One other thing I've noticed though, is that when driving, say 2nd or 3rd gear, if I'm at 1/2 to full throttle between 3000rpm-4000rpm and I start pushing in the clutch(about half way in, before it starts to completely disengage) there is a LOUD noise that sounds like it's coming from the pedal area. I'm guessing there is some serious vibration in the clutch/flywheel that's getting transferred through the clutch line to the pedal.

My car does this also but theres no noises or anything just vibrations and if i free rev sometimes (its off and on) it feels like something is very much out of balance around 2k it does it then it goes away by 2500 and then at around 3200 it comes back again. but sometimes the car is silky smooth. no noises it vibrates in gear when driving but only in 3rd or 4th and if i slightly accel it kinda smooths out if im deceling and i downshift into 3rd from 4th and let the clutch out sometimes the shifter looks like its gonna jump out of gear it vibrates a good amount back and forth. (like the direction going up and down from 3rd to 4th gear) i think i read somewhere about this meaning the lever the shifter ball sits in on the inside of the trans is bent.