Transmission Removal

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
I crack them loose from the top using a box end wrench and some lube on my left arm. Even with the lube I always seem to end up with a few deep scratches in my arm.

Then I use several wobble extensions, a wobble, and I curse a lot getting them the rest of the way out from underneath the car.

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
GrimJack;1523224 said:
I crack them loose from the top using a box end wrench and some lube on my left arm. Even with the lube I always seem to end up with a few deep scratches in my arm.

Then I use several wobble extensions, a wobble, and I curse a lot getting them the rest of the way out from underneath the car.

This. Use a 6pt box if you can, wear mechanics gloves and long sleves to protect your hands/arms as much as possible. I did it on a toyota truck which is pretty much the same setup. Its doable but sucks major donkey dick. In the future you may want to consider taking the engine/trans out together.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
If you're pulling the engine, I HIGHLY suggest pulling both the engine and tranny.

If, however, you're just dropping the tranny for a clutch job or something, it's still way faster to drop the tranny.

csnow

Matthew 6:33
Apr 5, 2005
Palm Bay, FL
Loosen motor mounts and remove the x-member. Lower the jack and allow the tail shaft to drop. Go over the top of the transmission from the rear with long extensions and a swivel socket. I use two 36" extensions and an impact gun. You could probably do it with a string of 12" extensions and a u-joint but I bet you will formulate a long string of obscenities during the process :)

boricua114

Boostin Good Lately
I got them out, I just reached in there with a wrench, not to bad, i have small arms lol,,,, I got it all loose but I cant get it out, i removed the fork and loosened the pressure plate bolts, it wobbles and everything but wont come out