Transmission Probs

boltpride05

Lets Wrastle!
Apr 17, 2006
SAN DIEGO
Well guys i got a problem. I have this noise in my transmission that sounds like something is rotating loosley in my trani. When i put the clutch in it goes away. Then when i put it in gear and let go the clutch and start moving it gets pretty loud. It sounds like metal pieces sping and hitting each other. Now i dont know if this is wierd or what but it makes that noise in all my gears except in 4th. Well im starting to get into automotives so i was wondering if you guys have any ideas. Im thiniking of getting a new trani anyways because the owner before me never put any transmission oil in it so it was dry when i checked it. HELP!!!!!

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
check the gear oil, if standard, fluid if auto. (are you standard or auto?) i had the same problem last spring. it turned out that all of my gear oil leaked out the tailshaft seal, and stuck to the bottom of my car while i was driving. it was very cold out, i couldn't smell the oil. one day, i was driving along, and my tranny decided to vibrate/overheat itself.

i lifted the car, all the gear oil was under the car, stuck there. i believe that's what caused my tranny to die. (overheated, lack of lubrication)

i learned the hard way. check the fluid/oil.

-shaeff

toyman1987

Apr 2, 2005
Omaha
The noise is either:
1. The Input bearing
2. countershaft bearings
3. chunk or chipped tooth on either input or counter gear
the reason it goes away in 4th, is that the power transmits through the mainshaft, relieving the load on the input/counter. make sense?