Transmission noise=Throw out bearing?

FullNelson

Sep 17, 2007
Coastal Georgia
Just finished my Rebuild and have just passed a whopping 30 miles!! Anyways the transmission has a noise when the clutch is out (both in or out of gear). If the clutch is in, The noise is gone.

When I bolted up the transmission, it was out of the car, and done not to spec of tsrm. The brand new clutch was Installed on the machined flywheel and lined up. Then I put the transmission on the motor, and then the fork was installed and all was buttoned up.

Question 1) What would make a noise when the clutch is out, and then be relieved when its pressed in? I don't recall the throw out bearing being all that tight, but there was no lateral movement. Could it have been shimmed thin?

Question 2) Just to make sure, are any of the clutch bolts a tty? The flywheel bolts are ARP and the pressure plates are brand new toyotas.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
What kind of noise is it, a grind or a squeek or what? Does it go away within the first 2 inches or so of the pedal being pushed or does it need to be pushed basically all the way in before the noise is gone?

FullNelson

Sep 17, 2007
Coastal Georgia
No grind. No squeak. More or less like some nuts or bolts in a washing machine.

The noise dicipates at probably 3/4 pedal disengagement. I assume that just has to do with where the pedal freeplay is set to.

Ill open up the inspection covers tomorrow to see if I can wiggle the bearing or not.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
If it was your throwout bearing it would likely get louder with the clutch pedal depressed. Does it make the noise if you are coasting in gear with the clutch disengaged (pedal to the floor)? Sounds more like an input shaft bearing. Does it make noise when youre driving, what about in 4th gear?

FullNelson

Sep 17, 2007
Coastal Georgia
CyFi6;1344070 said:
If it was your throwout bearing it would likely get louder with the clutch pedal depressed. But when its engaged it would have the pressure from the pressure plate taking up the slack a missed shim would create, and when the pedal is released, the clearance would be enough to cause a rattle.Does it make the noise if you are coasting in gear with the clutch disengaged (pedal to the floor)? Not sureSounds more like an input shaft bearing. Does it make noise when youre driving,I have only listened when I was at coasting at idle in 1st, and yes faintly. what about in 4th gear?Road noise and wind noise is getting louder by 4th and I haven't listened for it specifically then, but nothing noticeable. I will take it out tomorrow and report my findings

It also seems that as the transmission warms up, the noise gets softer. Could it be that after 4 years of sitting on the floor that the transmission would have lost enough fluid to cause this? There were never any leaks under the transmission when it was in storage.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
pedal free play is where you push in the clutch slightly and it doesn't touch the clutch. should be the first inch, like push in the first inch nothing then it start's to dis-engage the clutch.

FullNelson

Sep 17, 2007
Coastal Georgia
FML. I was calling it wrong, i've been wanting to say it was the clutch release hub. Those washers, I remember them being tight, but did not take any tollerances.
275.jpg