transmission fluid.

suprashane

Aug 14, 2011
Colorado
Ok so my transmission was shifting terrible. Especially when cold. So i was searching around and found this post on srt4s saying to use mobil 1 high milage oil in the transmission. My friend tried this in his neon and worked wonders. I decided to try this in the w58, and omg it feels like a brand new transmission! Shifts like a hot knife through butter.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
In the steel case Toyota 5 speed I ran in the old Z car I ended up mixing Trans fluid and Gear Oil to get it to actually shift at all when cold :)

(otherwise it was both hands on the shifter and blood veins popping on the forehead to get it to move)

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
I had an '88 Accord manual trans that called for 50W motor oil. Other cars that I've helped worked on in the past haved required heavy weight engine oil in the case.

Typhoon

Jun 30, 2007
ACT
Engine oil works really nicely in manual transmissions, especially synthetics, with their ability to flow well at low temperatures.
Just remember to change much more frequently than you would if using gear oil.
I've owned a few cars that the manufacturers specced engine oil for the manual gearbox, and they were 25-30 years old, so it's not a new thing.

hidenplanvew

Feb 4, 2012
Colorado
I wouldnt run Mobil one in anything I own.. Worst oil you can get

Hondas run MTF which is like 10w40 but has more stuff in it then reg oil.. always run Honda MTF in Honda Trans!

AMSOIL, Schaeffer oil, Brad penn, are the only oil I run in my high performance cars, and GTX in my DD

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
hidenplanvew;1806484 said:
I wouldnt run Mobil one in anything I own.. Worst oil you can get

Hondas run MTF which is like 10w40 but has more stuff in it then reg oil.. always run Honda MTF in Honda Trans!

AMSOIL, Schaeffer oil, Brad penn, are the only oil I run in my high performance cars, and GTX in my DD

Hmmm - Mobil 1 is not the worst oil out there, actually it's pretty good. There are better oils - Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra comes to mind. I would say German Castrol, but it's getting very difficult (if not impossible) to find. Mobil 1 is over priced in comparison, for what it is - just like Amsoil ;) Brad Penn? You're buying a name. Schaeffer is very good. The Castrol Edge line is what I would run vs GTX.

sous;1806579 said:
redline mt90

Redline MT-90 is a excellent choice for a car putting out higher HP. MTL is good for most stock or lightly mod'ed cars.