Transmission Compatibility?

Chaotic Neutral

ex machina
Jul 5, 2005
Canton, GA
Just a real short n simple question.

Have a 1989 NA, with a shot tranny. Will a 1988 turbo transmission swap directly in? Both transmissions are automatics. As far as I know, that makes them both A340Es; didn't know if there'd be any wiring issues. (Mechanic said he didn't think it would work, wanted me to be sure before he charged me anything)

Thanks!

Murd

Dec 19, 2006
Vancouver, WA.
If it's a transmission off of an ABS car and your car doesn't have ABS, or the reverse situation, you'll have to swap tailshafts and speed sensors. Otherwise it'll work after swapping bell housings.

Chaotic Neutral

ex machina
Jul 5, 2005
Canton, GA
Murd;1233961 said:
If it's a transmission off of an ABS car and your car doesn't have ABS, or the reverse situation, you'll have to swap tailshafts and speed sensors. Otherwise it'll work after swapping bell housings.

Good to know. Is there an easy way to identify if it came from a non-abs (or abs, either way) car? Mine does have ABS, just don't know about the donor.

Thanks!

Murd

Dec 19, 2006
Vancouver, WA.
Sorry no need to swap bell housings. Lot of things on my mind lately. I'm not sure if there's an external way to tell, inside the tail section is a ring that has multiple "nubs" on it that the speed sensor reads. The Non ABS one only has 1 "nub" I believe. Sorry I can't get more technical about it, having trouble locating the part in the TSRM that is different between ABS and non-ABS.

Murd

Dec 19, 2006
Vancouver, WA.
They both have speed sensors. One is set up to work with the ABS system and takes more readings off of the output shaft than the non ABS.

Chaotic Neutral

ex machina
Jul 5, 2005
Canton, GA
Murd;1234566 said:
They both have speed sensors. One is set up to work with the ABS system and takes more readings off of the output shaft than the non ABS.

Stupid question: If the right speed sensor isn't installed, what happens?

Also, what's a reasonable rate for a tranny install? Just asked my local mechanic, and his quote was $800, for 6 hours labor, and new seals.

I've pulled trannies before....didn't seem like a 6 hour adventure.

Murd

Dec 19, 2006
Vancouver, WA.
It'll throw codes, won't shift at proper times. This was with a ABS transmission on a non ABS car. Not sure what'll happen the other way. The speed sensor and tailshaft are both different for ABS vs. non ABS.

Murd

Dec 19, 2006
Vancouver, WA.
I helped a friend with all this, he talked to me. If you pull both speed sensors, and they look the same, you should be good to go, otherwise swap the tailshaft piece, it'll be a round thing on the tailshaft that looks like a gear, thats what the speed sensor is taking readings off of.

800 sounds a bit steep for a swap IMO.

JesseH

Nov 12, 2005
Englewood, Ohio, United States
Chaotic Neutral;1234803 said:
Stupid question: If the right speed sensor isn't installed, what happens?

Also, what's a reasonable rate for a tranny install? Just asked my local mechanic, and his quote was $800, for 6 hours labor, and new seals.

I've pulled trannies before....didn't seem like a 6 hour adventure.
With the help of a friend we did a complete 5spd swap in 7 hours and that was with a lunch break...

I've also changed out an auto by myself without a tranny jack by laying it on my chest and pushing it into place and it didn't take that long...sounds to me like hes plannig on taking his time.