Trans & Diff Fluid

joeyd161

El Jefé
Apr 18, 2005
Schaumburg,IL
This weekend gonna change my fluids in my Trans & Diff just wondering whats the difference between 75w90 & 80w90. just want to make sure i get the right stuff.

Last edited:

Cz.

CAR > FAMILY
Mar 31, 2005
Seattle, WA
Those numbers refer to the weight of the oil. 80w90 will be "heavier" ie, thicker than the 75w90. So it really depends on the climate in area that you live. 75w90 is probably fine anywhere you live though.

joeyd161

El Jefé
Apr 18, 2005
Schaumburg,IL
Thanks for the info guys and bcg04 where did u get that redline at, i think i heard that napa carried redline fluids. i want to buy it in a store not online cause i want to do it this weekend.

bcg04

The Don
Mar 31, 2005
Med-City, USA (Rochester, MN)
I ordered my fluids from horsepowerfreaks.com. I tried Summitracing.com but there was extra cost for "hazardous" material shipping or something that scared me away from that. I can't get Redline stuff locally.

Cz.

CAR > FAMILY
Mar 31, 2005
Seattle, WA
Some Napa auto parts have Royal Purple which is as good or better than Redline. I don't think that Redline is carried by any retail stores.

P

PunaMKlll

i run royal purple in both my trans & diff. good stuff!

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Mar 31, 2005
Vienna, VA
I would recommend in your LSD to use 1 quart of Redline's 75W90NS and top it off with the 75W90. Or, if you want to go a little easier, put 3/4qt of the NS and top it off with the regular. I found that using only the oil with additive gave too much slip making the LSD rather less effective. Another way to play is fill it full of NS and get the small bottle of slip additive separately, which you add a little bit at a time until it gives you the slip you desire. Straight NS is probably too clunky for most people.

Remember, it's way easier to add slip than take it away.

Asterix

ryans_supra

Mar 31, 2005
Burnaby
Is it hard on the Differential if you only put in 75W90NS? I bought the no additive gear oil and a little boddle of friction modifier. Initially how much of the bottle do you add to the differential? I want to avoid having to put the car up 10 times to keep adding additive.

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Mar 31, 2005
Vienna, VA
ryans_supra,

Sorry, but I've only done it by mixing the NS and premixed. Assuming that a whole bottle of additive is in one bottle of the 75W90, you may want to start by adding 1/4 bottle of the additive. The back of the Supra is high enough to slide under and add the goop to the differential without jacking it up (unless you've lowered yours a lot).

Of course, if the bottle of additive is more than what 1 quart of 75W90 gets, you'll have to adjust accordingly. Call Redline and ask them; they've been responsive to my questions in the past.

Since it's so much easier to add slip than take it away, I'd try adding very small amounts. I'd rather climb under there 8 times than drain the case and start over, but that's just me. If you add 1/8 bottle at a time, you'll only need to climb under at most 8 times.

It won't hurt your differential to not have any additive in there, but it will be harder on your tires.

Asterix

ryans_supra

Mar 31, 2005
Burnaby
thanks for the answer. I will probably tuff it out and just add it till i am satisfied. Haveing a noisy car does not bother me so i will try like you said and add it in small increments.

thanks again,

Ryan