Tranny Troubles?

heavyearly87t

Mr.Url
Mar 31, 2005
Edmonton Alberta Canada Eh?
The stats: Rebuilt motor dropped into car with aluminum flywheel & new stage 3 clutch. 600 KM on the car now.

When starting up from stop in first gear and moving in reverse, there is a pulse, shudder or chatter on engagement. Also when in neutral with the clutch pedal pressed I can feel a pulse through the pedal.

It is RPM related. At 100KM/hr the vibration is not bad, rpm under 3000. At 140KM/hr the car feels like it is coming apart, 3400 rpm?

I do have a leak from the back of the tranny coming from the output shaft. Would that leak if there was too much oil in the tranny? Or have I lost a seal?

This shudder was in the car before I changed the engine but only at very high speeds. 180KM/hr+. I assumed the wheel was out of balance.

My thoughts:
Bad clutch/flywheel?
Propeller shaft of balance?
Wheel off balance?
Warped output shaft?
Toss match in gas tank, walk away?

Any thoughts on this will be well received, thanks.

Earl

heavyearly87t

Mr.Url
Mar 31, 2005
OK let me rephrase the above. HELP! :1zhelp:

I posted this localy and some of replies have been:

Fidanza flywheel out of balance. I thought they came balanced?

The oil leak is from the outputshaft seal. True

Inputshaft warped. This is what I think it is.

I think it will be tranny rebuild time now.

oneandgone

40R 6 SPD SC3
Don't know if this will help or not, but it may be a possiblilty....

I've got a buddy who had an a/m clutch kit in his Supra, although I can't remember who made it...Regardless, after a short time it started acting up. When he removed the trans he found that the pressure plate was literally coming apart. The company he bought it from agreed to send him another as his unit was faulty.

You could probably get a pretty decent look at everything by removing the dust covers and shining in a flashlight. It's not likely to be the problem, but relatively easy to have a quick look at.

steve_mk3

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
middletown, NJ
I have an act stage 3 six puck on a new rebuild engin.Stock flywheel resurfaced. It also shudders when I take off from a stop in forward or reverse. It is more than a chatter. I have only a couple of miles on the clutch( like 2 or 3).

I agree that looking thru the inspections opening would be a good idea.

heavyearly87t

Mr.Url
Mar 31, 2005
Thanks Guys!
I looked through the inspection windows and saw nothing that would indicate a problem. Whay I did notice is the rear seal is hooped.

Anybody know if it can be replaced on the car? Or do I have to take appart the tranny to do this?

The shudder at high speed is either a wheel off balance or the tie rod ends. This I will get looked at soon.
Url

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
if you're low on tranny oil, the car will shudder like its about to fall apart. check it. if you've driven it like that, and the tranny has gotten too hot, it's time to find a new one. a rebuild of your current one after its been overheated is pointless, as it will never be the same again, and the cost is ridiculous!

-shaeff

heavyearly87t

Mr.Url
Mar 31, 2005
shaeff said:
if you're low on tranny oil, the car will shudder like its about to fall apart. check it. if you've driven it like that, and the tranny has gotten too hot, it's time to find a new one. a rebuild of your current one after its been overheated is pointless, as it will never be the same again, and the cost is ridiculous!

-shaeff
Thanks Shaeff,

The tranny was full of oil when this occured. I am looking for a tranny anyway. What are the costs of rebuilding a tranny that has not been fried? I guess I am looking for a ballpark number?

I'll call my local dealer and see what they charge for parts here but I think I can get them cheaper than Toyota Retail.

The high speed shudder is one of the wheels lost the balance weights. I have not fixed this yet but at least I know what it is.

Earl

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
heavyearly87t said:
Thanks Shaeff,

The tranny was full of oil when this occured. I am looking for a tranny anyway. What are the costs of rebuilding a tranny that has not been fried? I guess I am looking for a ballpark number?

you're welcome :)

and thats good to know, i got an estimate from a (reputable) local tranny shop for 4-600 for a rebuild.

-shaeff

heavyearly87t

Mr.Url
Mar 31, 2005
shaeff said:
you're welcome :)

and thats good to know, i got an estimate from a (reputable) local tranny shop for 4-600 for a rebuild.

-shaeff

4-600 US = 500 - 750 CAN. Just as a comparable item, what are useable tranny's from a parts yard worth. Here the going rate is $500 CAN.

I was quoted a rebuild cost of 800- 1200 CAN depending on parts.

Thanks again.

quake

toyota tech
Apr 13, 2005
r.i.
hey guys i work for toyota and if the out put shaft is leaking gear oil, then remove the tranny and replace the bearings inside sounds like they are worn out.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
heavyearly87t said:
4-600 US = 500 - 750 CAN. Just as a comparable item, what are useable tranny's from a parts yard worth. Here the going rate is $500 CAN.

I was quoted a rebuild cost of 800- 1200 CAN depending on parts.

Thanks again.

i got mine for $400.

-shaeff

heavyearly87t

Mr.Url
Mar 31, 2005
quake said:
hey guys i work for toyota and if the out put shaft is leaking gear oil, then remove the tranny and replace the bearings inside sounds like they are worn out.

Thats harsh! I am hoping that whilr the tranny was out for 7 months in my garage, the seal dried out. :ugh2:

I have ordered a new one and will have this in late next week if I can. I'll post if this resolves it or not. :bigthumb:

Earl