trannsimission oil cooler?

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Here's how I mounted mine...the angle of the Pic makes it look off, but it tucked in nice. Both are Long Tru-Cool 71/2" x 11" x 1.5 ". The tranny cooler is on the right behind the drivers fog light with a Spal fan on it hot wired to run whenever the ignition is on. The oil cooler is on the left in front of the stock location in the air stream.

Twigger

Ahhh Yeah!!
Mar 30, 2005
OlyWA
There is so much room in between the rad. and the ac condenser, which is where I mounted the oil cooler on my last Supra. I think that there probably is enough room for both an oil cooler and a transmission cooler. I will check for when I get a new IC I will need to relocate the oil cooler anyway.

Also, my new radiator that is on the way.
http://coolradiator.com/HPAToyotaSupraTurbo3.htm

May 18, 2007
Aarhus
I'm about to upgrade my cooling system and I want to do a transmission cooler.

I need some help with size and routing.

I was thinking about using a B&M 7.25 x 11 x 1½ in cooler for the transmission and a 11 x 11 x 1½ for the engine. The engine cooler will go between the rad and the a/c condenser and I will go for a full flow system with a thermostat. Would the 11x11 be enough when it is sandwiched like that?

Regarding the transmission cooler I was wondering if I could do the same setup with a similar thermostat in order to keep the ATF in operating range and have adequate capacity to remove the excess heat produced by the transmision.

Would it work? Is it needed?

What size braided hoses should I use for the transmission? I'm going 10AN on the engine.

Could/should I put an inline filter in the transmission circuit? If so which filter?

I guess my overall question is could I copy the engine cooling setup for use on the transmission?

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Syracuse, New York, United States
Twigger;213145 said:
There is so much room in between the rad. and the ac condenser, which is where I mounted the oil cooler on my last Supra. I think that there probably is enough room for both an oil cooler and a transmission cooler. I will check for when I get a new IC I will need to relocate the oil cooler anyway.

Also, my new radiator that is on the way.
http://coolradiator.com/HPAToyotaSupraTurbo3.htm

+1, that's where mine sits right now. Gonna take out the condenser in the spring (A/C doesn't work anyways) just to make sure the cooler gets enough flow and my Fluidyne rad isn't blocked by any leaves or crap.

With all this I hear about A340E trannies failing at 300+whp, I'd like as much cooling as I can get.

May 18, 2007
Aarhus
Still haven't done the transmission cooler setup.

Does anyone know what size fittings to use on the transmission? Anything that will screw right in?

Regarding thermostat I assume that the typical engine oil thermostat will do fine here too?