trading a rx7 for a supra

brad horton

Oct 20, 2008
Alabama
I'm Brad Horton I'm a student at the university of Alabama. I work at advance auto parts. I'm new to the supra thing I am trading my 1991 mazda rx7 N.A. vert for a 1987 supra turbo. I'm ready to have another fun car that does not run off of spinning triangles. I have only had one other turbo car before the supra it was a 85 dodge shelby charger 2.2(for those few of you who dont know what it is its the most fun you can have a really really shitty car).
The list of cars I own or have owned
1965 ford mustang
1967 mercury cougar(red)
1967 mercury cougar(blue)
1984 ford bronco
1984 ford e350 rv
1984 dodge ram charger
1985 dodge shelby charger 2.2 turbo
1986 ford mustang lx
1987 supra 7mgte auto
1989 mazda rx7 vert
1991 mazda rx7 vert
1991 d21 pickup
1991 subaru gl wagon (mud wagon lol)
1994 dodge datoka (vert lol)
1995 olds cutless

Feel free to ask me anything you want about any of them ill do my best to answer you. My true is my cougar however i have allways liked turbo cars and im looking forward to my supra.

Questions
what out side of head gaskets should i be on the look out to go bad?
is there any thing to take the place of the fog lights? ex block of plate
is there a way to get away from flip up head lights?
what mods should i do first? manual boost controller cold air and boost gauge bought
how good are the auto trans?
what kind of ecu do i need?
what kinda 1/4 mile times should i see with boost controller and cold air?
Any thing else i should know or do to get the running its best?

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Welcome to Supramania Brad and great choice of schools.

I live about an hour and a half from Tuscaloosa and a good friend of mine goes to school there as well. His name is Keylan, aka topnotch2jz. He has a yellow MKIV in case you don't know him.

As far as upgrades go. Here's a link to help you with and everything else can be found by searching for it. http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16&highlight=upgrade It's all been covered a hundred times or so. You can also call me anytime you want to and I'll help you all I can. We are having a supra meet this coming up weekend and here's the link to that. http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80495
PM me if you need anything and try to make it out to the meet this weekend.

labrat469

Aug 1, 2007
Alabama
Alright another bama Supra. Welcome to the Forum. There are a few of us Supra owners around you. If I may suggest with any used cars look at rebuilding the motor if you intend to keep her for a bit. Hopefully this winter I can get started on building the other 7MGE I have.

Slight thread jack...

Suprahero, I won't be able to attend the meet. I messed up my back working on a 79 Ford Bronco 4X4 transmission and got sent home.

Now I return control of this thread to the OP

brad horton

Oct 20, 2008
Alabama
for those of you who saw the blue turbo auto at steel that ran a 19.182 that was me i blew the boost pipe from the intercooler to the intake off. sorry about that
more questions:
My over drive light flashes some times why?
on the side of my steering wheel there is a removable chip what does that do?
does any one else have a garden security system on there car? how do i get it off?
how hard is the motor mounts to change?
my speedo does not work any clues?
my boost gauge goes just over 8 at full boost is that bad on stock car?
the last owner said its making 10psi(i'm have not put a gauge on it)
my radio does not work and the fuse is good any clues?
my pipe from the intercooler to intake is pvc and melted above the turbo. I was planing on cuting it down close to the front of the motor and puting a hard pipe on from there to the intake. is there any problems with that?

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
First, welcome to the forum! Supras are lots of work but worth the effort.

brad horton;1164596 said:
for those of you who saw the blue turbo auto at steel that ran a 19.182 that was me i blew the boost pipe from the intercooler to the intake off. sorry about that
more questions:
does any one else have a garden security system on there car? how do i get it off?
my pipe from the intercooler to intake is pvc and melted above the turbo. I was planing on cuting it down close to the front of the motor and puting a hard pipe on from there to the intake. is there any problems with that?

Old stock IC pipes suck, get a universal kit from driftmotion requires some cutting but it's cheep use T-bolt clamps. Motor mounts aren't bad if you have a cherry picker: nut on the bottom, nut on the top, lift motor, replace. Speedo cable is probably broken. Stock is ~7 psi, fuel cut is 12 psi. Stock radio or aftermarket? Pics please!

brad horton

Oct 20, 2008
Alabama
it is a really basic aftermarket one
sm_photo_missing.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
brad horton;1164596 said:
more questions:

That was you???

We all wondered who's that was, and where it came from after we had been standing there for so long. If you would have come mingle amongst the rest of us, we could have probably answered most of those questions on the spot.

Boost sounds fine. If over 8 pounds, you should consider an aftermarket gauge.

Radio - Is it the stock radio? I'd guess age is the problem if so.

Speedometer is most likely a cable issue. Most times it's the short cable near the tranny.

Hard pipe is a fine idea.

Welcome to the site!

brad horton

Oct 20, 2008
Alabama
yes that was i was late cause i had to pick up the car. i picked it up and drove straight there i thought more of my buddys where going to show up. i thought we had at a 11sec 300zx coming along with a fd rx7 and a turbo 240 but they did not make it due to 240 issues what can you expect from a 240. the red 300 was with me as well. i wish i could have keep it together but if you look at the picture of my charge pipe you know why i did not. as soon as she hit 8 pounds off came the pipe.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
The stock pipes will probably work better for you than that pvc. I have what you need if you want it. I wish you would have came over and introduced yourself to us, but I guess we could have did the same.
Let me know if you need some help with something. I live in sumiton if you want to come by and get the intercooler pipes.

brad horton

Oct 20, 2008
Alabama
sweet really? Next time i go to birmingham ill let you know and see if we can find a time to get together. i should have. btw supra hero youre car is perfect
me and buddy are new to Tuscaloosa and we where talking about trying to get people together from bmw forums, ars, mustang forums, rx7 club and a few others just to get know some people who have the same passion we do. if anyone wants to come.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I'll look out in the shed and find the pipes you need. If I see Keylan, I'll give them to him so he can give them to you on campus.

Roll Tide.....#1 finally.