tps mystery?

Me[kk]A

Nov 16, 2009
Toronto
So as per my previous thread concerning code 51, i recently swapped the wastegate, put in a fresh ct26, and redid the upper and lower oil line gaskets on the supra.

i also tried to swap in a used tps and calibrate it but the car would literally refuse to rev at all. It would idle fine then simply go into a steady lower bog noise until you let off the throttle all together.

i also recently started getting a loud squeal that reacts with the revs of the car, sometimes goes away or is sometimes constant (gets quieter as the engine gets warmer) I'm pretty sure its a vaccuum leak and my only untouched spot is the throttlebody gasket as i redid the intake manifold and the injector o-rings and grommets recently.

when we put in the old tps sensor (which the car was running 75% on with, hard starts when cold, boggy idle but reasonable power until i'd hit a boost or fuel cut at maybe 75% of pushin the pedal)

the reaction im referring to is the car revs fine then all of a sudden bogs back and the check engine light comes on for a second then goes away.. (confirmation of boost cut?)

so once we put the old tps back on we couldnt seem to recalibrate the tps either. the car idled fine but literally had no power.. it would accelerate but at a crawl, if i were to apply any gas whatsoever the spool made literally like a (TAT TAT TAT) sound and i was getting no power whatsoever.

Thinking the tps code we triggered that night from swapping the sensors to be the culprit i reset the comp. the next day.

now the car will not stay running for more the 2-3 secs at which point she just dies..

im completely confused by the symptoms.. anyone have any clue?

sorry for the jump around post

Me[kk]A

Nov 16, 2009
Toronto
jetjock;1483532 said:
Yeah, I have a clue and so do you. It's right there in your post:

A 51 won't cause the MIL to do that...

So what i should have done was pulled a code for that reaction and gone from there.

Sadly, i currently screwed myself out of checking that code.

the ecu is reset and it won't start :(

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
As JJ basically said, 51 will not turn off unless the throttle is touched. Its real time. It will not hurt performance also. Your problem lies elsewhere. Maybe try a NEW TPS....for one. They are not pricey. Personally, i'd check first to make sure I have spark on all cylinders

Me[kk]A

Nov 16, 2009
Toronto
^when we were doing so it ran like ass all across the travel spectrum of the tps..

waiting on a new one currently will try this again.

Me[kk]A

Nov 16, 2009
Toronto
Would a boost leak cause my "acceleration" issues? aka the car literally bogging down if i attempt a spirited acceleration vs a slower smooth one?

pulled my codes..

34: Turbocharger Pressure

31: AFM was working till just recently :(

24: intake air temp signal

ironically no tps..even though i know mine is not running on the proper voltage..

im guessing a vaccuum leak would affect 34 and 31 as well.. if the engine is getting air currently from an additional source other than the intake?

Last edited:

supramk3

sleeper
Apr 6, 2009
queensbury
i had the same problem check for vaccum leaks in the intake to the intake manifold. my bov was leaking and i would reset the ecu and i would build boost let off the gas and poof check engine light on.

Me[kk]A

Nov 16, 2009
Toronto
im hoping this is my last one.. i replaced many gaskets now lol hopefully the throttlebody is the last gasket ill need to do

supramk3

sleeper
Apr 6, 2009
queensbury
i dont realy use alot of gaskets i use the red rtv on intake manifolds exhaust manifolds and throttle bodys and i never have any problems