tow yard going to lien sale "my car"

STUPID FAST

Apr 4, 2008
FRESNO, CA
ok i sold my car to a old friend of mine almost a year ago, make story short, turns out he never register the car and had the car put into a tow yard on 08-19-09 for not having insurance, unfortunately i have to pay for the tow fees and registration fees, should i just pay for it and get my car back for a good price. i called the tow yard and the guy told me that they had it on a lien sale already, but i just received the notice today from the police department with all the fees and where the car is kept. should i just go and get the car? what if they tell me that its on a lien sale and i cant get it back? should i ask them for a written policy that they put the car on lien sale? the notice says that its impounded, not for 30 days or stored, so im guessing i can still go get the car. sorry for the long story but im afraid if i dont do something i might get my license taking away.

STUPID FAST

Apr 4, 2008
FRESNO, CA
here is the california bureau laws for tows and such.............

1) How do I find out if my car has been towed, repossessed or impounded?

Call the Records Bureau at (559) 621-2501. Please be prepared to provide the license plate number or the vehicle identification number (VIN).

Also any information that the officer issued to the person who was last driving your car when it was impounded is helpful. If you do not know the license plate or VIN, please check your paperwork (such as the pink slip, vehicle repair receipts or insurance papers) that you may have.

2) How can I get a release for my vehicle?

Your vehicle will not be available for a minimum of 24 hours after the time of tow. Listed below is where you may obtain your vehicle release form:
Monday - Friday 8 AM - 5 PM from the Southwest District Station, 1211 Fresno St, 621-6111. Or, Saturday - Sunday 9 AM – 4 PM: Fresno Police Department Headquarters, 2323 Mariposa Mall, Fresno.

We are CLOSED ON HOLIDAYS

- The vehicle must be currently registered.

- The vehicle will only be released to the licensed registered owner*.

- If the registered owner does not have a valid driver's license he or she will need a State of California identification card, or another acceptable form of identification, and accompanied by a valid, licensed driver.

- With the registered owner's consent, a vehicle release can be issued to another licensed driver.

- You must contact the Fresno Police at (559) 621-2500, for this requirement.

* Only the driver listed on the vehicle release may obtain the vehicle from the tow yard.

3) How much will it cost? How can I pay for it?

If your Vehicle was:

STORED ONLY:
NO FEE - No vehicle release is necessary, go directly to the tow company to get your vehicle.

IMPOUNDED: ($184.00) plus any additional fees as specified by officer on information sheet provided to you at time of the tow (see below).

IMPOUNDED 30 DAYS
($184.00) plus any additional fees as specified by officer on information sheet provided to you at the time of the tow.

Additional Fees

$110.00 ... Added for unlicensed driver, suspended license, DUI, or ignition interlock.

You will be given the tow company's name and phone number to call for the tow company's payment policy.

4) My vehicle was impounded for driving with a suspended driver's license. What happens now?

California Vehicle Code section 14602.6 mandates the impoundment of a vehicle if the driver is cited for driving with a suspended license.

- The vehicle will be impounded for 30 days.

- The owner of the vehicle is responsible for storage fees.

- If your vehicle was impounded for 30 days, you may contact the Tow Coordinator at (559) 621-2543, within the first ten (10), days, for a hearing to release your vehicle prior to 30 days.

5) How can I dispute a vehicle impoundment? VEHICLE TOW HEARINGS

The vehicle owner is entitled to have a hearing with the Tow Hearing officer.

To request a hearing call the Hearing Officer at (559) 621-5059 within ten (10) days of the tow.

How you can prevent your vehicle from being impounded?

Do not drive if you have a suspended driver's license, unless your type of suspension states you can drive under certain circumstances. Please observe those restrictions.

Keep your vehicle registration up-to-date. If you have a Certificate of Non-Operation on your vehicle, do not park it on a public street.

Do not loan your vehicle to an unlicensed driver or a person with a suspended driver's license. You will be financially responsible.

Do not operate the vehicle if you are not appropriately licensed. Certain vehicles require special driver's licenses, such as motorcycles.

Do not park your unattended vehicle on a public street for more than 72 hours. After 72 hours, any vehicle, if it is not moved, can be impounded as an abandoned vehicle.

How do I report my vehicle stolen?

Call the Fresno Police Department Communications Center at (559) 621-7000.

Mr.Forks

AnotherFoolJoe
Jun 8, 2009
nyc
www.hoonperformance.com
STUPID FAST;1428942 said:
ok i sold my car to a old friend of mine almost a year ago, make story short, turns out he never register the car and had the car put into a tow yard on 08-19-09 for not having insurance, unfortunately i have to pay for the tow fees and registration fees, should i just pay for it and get my car back for a good price. i called the tow yard and the guy told me that they had it on a lien sale already, but i just received the notice today from the police department with all the fees and where the car is kept. should i just go and get the car? what if they tell me that its on a lien sale and i cant get it back? should i ask them for a written policy that they put the car on lien sale? the notice says that its impounded, not for 30 days or stored, so im guessing i can still go get the car. sorry for the long story but im afraid if i dont do something i might get my license taking away.

Figure out the cost of getting the car back vs what you can sell it for
If its more to get back then let them have it ( as long as there's no damage to your license or credit history )
If you can make money by getting it back and reselling it, do so
But this time go with whomever buys it to the dmv and make sure they register/change tile to their name. Even if you take a few dollars off of the sale cost and pay it out of your pocket