Torque converter doubts

CarlosPTR210

Apr 5, 2006
Calexico,CA
www.ptr.com.mx
Sorry for the dump questions, but I’m new for the automatic transmission :aigo:

My best time at the 1/8 track, its 9sec, with stock engine and turbo, 18” street tires at 12 psi with lex mod, but I want to improve the time, so I have some questions.

1.- How High performance torque converters will improve the time at the track?

2.- If I install a high performance Torque Converter, will affect the normal driving?

3.- a high performance TC will affect more the auto transmission?

4.- What it’s the specification of the stock TC?

5.- What specification for a High Performance TC do I need for my goals at the 1/8 track?
Future set up:
Turbo garret 35R
High boost: 18psi
NOS: 50 Hp’s
4.3 rear LSD dif

Thanks for your time and support.

Best regards.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
DD is fine as it's a lockup convertor, I just finished a 1400+ Km round trip in my current project car which has a High Stall in it and it was fine, Think of the TC as slipping the clutch in a Manual car to get the engine into the meatier part of it's power band.

My old 7M had 550ish Rwhp and was a SLUG off the line with the stock TC, changed it to a 2800 and it became a ground to ground guided missile.

CarlosPTR210

Apr 5, 2006
Calexico,CA
www.ptr.com.mx
IJ.;1745559 said:
DD is fine as it's a lockup convertor, I just finished a 1400+ Km round trip in my current project car which has a High Stall in it and it was fine, Think of the TC as slipping the clutch in a Manual car to get the engine into the meatier part of it's power band.

My old 7M had 550ish Rwhp and was a SLUG off the line with the stock TC, changed it to a 2800 and it became a ground to ground guided missile.

So you think a TC at 3000 wll be beter ? jejej

tks :D

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
I'm running a 2800 stall converter. Its amazing, 12 Psi on stock turbo I did a 8.2 as a best 1/8th mile

Whats your 60ft if its any slower than 1.6 needs work

Green7mgte

Dec 30, 2009
North Canton, Ohio, United States
ive been toying with the idea of putting one of these in. I havent researched it tons, but it is defiently something I am heavily considering.. Anyone have any good reading material on the subject? any indepth threads on this?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
7Matt-GE;1745714 said:
who makes a DECENT high stall converter?

All the high performance trans builders like TCI will restall a converter for you. Or Level 10. In the Supra market we have SIP Racing and IPT.

Green7mgte;1745703 said:
ive been toying with the idea of putting one of these in. I havent researched it tons, but it is defiently something I am heavily considering.. Anyone have any good reading material on the subject? any indepth threads on this?

A torque converter multiplies engine torque. It does far more than just imitate slipping the clutch. Slipping the clutch reduces engine torque compared to engaged. That example is only used so people can have an idea.

http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/AT02.pdf

Last edited:

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
"Slipping the clutch" was a simplified analogy, I realise they multiply torque but only do so until the stall speed is matched/or the Convertor locks up then they go 1:1 like a manual trans.

In a high stall the slip period is longer and gets the engine into the meat of it's powerband as most modified engine will have moved the band higher up in the rev range, but they don't produce "more torque" at the same rpm.

CarlosPTR210

Apr 5, 2006
Calexico,CA
www.ptr.com.mx
Devin LeBlanc;1745666 said:
I'm running a 2800 stall converter. Its amazing, 12 Psi on stock turbo I did a 8.2 as a best 1/8th mile

Whats your 60ft if its any slower than 1.6 needs work

Dammm 8.2 its a very nice time, by the way I already buy a 4.3 lsd rear dif, I will swap for the current 3.7 lsd, also swap the demage trans for a 7MGE ons :( ( tempolarry until a have the money to rubuild the GTE and the perform valve body mod :D )

But befoer the auto trany sawp, I want to install a performace TC, locally one shop can modify the stock TC, but i want to know wich set up will be better for my needs, DD car driving and 1/8 track.

Tks to all for all your comends :D