Top-end lifter noise!?

ratpick63

detroit iron defector
May 4, 2006
Glendale, CA
I'm new here because I just bought my first Supra- a ragged out '86.5 that after changing oil started to show nasty top-end noise. It could be heard ever so slighty before, so I didn't think it was serious, but with 10w30 it was stupid loud! 20w50 and 1 qt of lucasoil later it's quieter but still sounds like a motor full of gravel or something. I've heard (from a possibly unreliable source) that since these cams are "sooo long" they warp and start slappin lifters. Sounds fishy but is it a problem with these? Is a valvetrain overhall worth it on a well-worn chassis? Motor seems to not have blow-by and have decent compression but still down on power- from valves not getting opened all the way? Any feedback appreciated...

ratpick63

detroit iron defector
May 4, 2006
Glendale, CA
Ok, some inspiration from the thread on figit090s BHG problems- at least I have a Supra. Since I didn't pay much I should earn it somehow. Any ideas for cheaper-than-dealership-but-quality OEM-like valvetrain parts or affordable cam kits? What do you think?

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
good luck with that. check titans page, www.titanmotorsports.com , theyll take care of you if you want a rebuild, but break it down yourself and see if you can figure out the problem. i myself have never heard of a cam warpage story. most of the problems around here are BHGs and so forth.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
I would say it is pretty rare. I have seen one broken cam in a photo on another site. But that is the only one.

I dont see how it would bend with that many caps holding it in place.

Maroon88

I collect BHG's
May 3, 2005
Cincinnati, OH
Pull the valvecovers off and check all the cleatances between the cams and valves and replace any shims as necessary. You can also check the cam bearing clearances while you are at it.

xarewhyayen

276 whp - 324 tq @ 13psi
Oct 3, 2005
Philly
are you sure its top end noise? is it like a clunking? could be rod knock.. try stethoscope to see if u hear it louder in the oil pan/bottom end area. thats more likely to develop that quickly than the head.

ratpick63

detroit iron defector
May 4, 2006
Glendale, CA
Well, thanks. I should have time to tear into it tomorrow. I'm pretty sure it's in the top end and not rod knock or anything. The story about the other guy that bent a cam was intriguing. He said it happened after redlining his motor. I'm sure the previous owners of mine all tested the rev-limiter quite often so who knows.