Top End Knocking

87MK111Supra

Jan 19, 2009
San Diego
So my car hasn't been running very well for about the past week and today I go out with my dad to try and fix it. About 1 minute after starting the car there is some noise that's louder than a tick and but not as prominent as a rod knock. We listened for the area and it sounded loudest towards the back of the engine beneath the valve cover. I have no idea why it would start doing this but my only guess would be that the pucks aren't shimmed properly or they are just plain worn. The engine was rebuilt 30,000 ago but the pucks were reused and have 240,000 on them. Any other ideas? I'm positive it's not rod knock cuz I've heard that one before. Any help is appreciated.

Jake

87MK111Supra

Jan 19, 2009
San Diego
It's not an exhaust leak. It's coming from the back of the head and is consistent with the rpms. It's a different sound than exhaust leak.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
The back of the head is where the EGR cooler is, and I've had that gasket blow out on me... it did not sound like a typical exhaust leak at all.

It's easy to find out though, start the car when cold and slide your hand back there. If it's leaking, you'll feel the exhaust pulses.

Otherwise, the shims are likely, and that's not too tough either, just pull the valve covers and check the specs on the shims - the one that's tapping will be easy to spot.