Top end build

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
Okay, here's the situation. I know I've got some sort of leaking in the head. It's signs of the beginning of a BHG, but everything has been done properly. HKS 1.5mm metal head gasket, torqued down properly with ARP hardware. You do the magical blue test tube radiator test and the magical blue liquid turns green. I'm thinking though that it may not be the head gasket, but the head having developped a crack. I looked through the receipts and found 3 other head gasket replacements prior to the HKS. Would that make sense then? I'm ripping the head off anyways, so it will only be a matter of time to find out for sure.

Anyways, while ripping the head off though, I'm thinking, hey, why not make this better? Throw in some drop in cams at the very least, but thinking a full top end build with springs/retainers/valves/port n' polish. Just want to know if anyone's done this and did they find it worth their time/money.

Also, I don't get tons of time off. Thus, the car will be ripped apart and put back together over the span of probably a few months. Crappy part is the most I'll have for shelter is a home built tarp tent like shelter. It's definitly big enough for the car to fit in as well as a work bench in the back, but it will still be semi out in the elements. Is there something I need to do to ensure nothing happens to the block while the head is off? Is this just a bad idea period and should I try and have the head back on ASAP?

Any feedback would be super.

Frank Rizzo

Banned
Jul 25, 2007
Fixing your girl's car
Only tip I have for you as far as leaving the car with a bare block out in the elements, make sure you cover it with a cloth of some sort when you are not around and be sure to smear oil on the cylinder walls and deck surface to minimize the formation of rust. I'd check on it every day you don't work on it and add more oil if needed.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
I know it is a cop out, but you asked questions of a purely relative and subjective nature.

Let me show you. No, they aren't worth it.

Good cams and a turbo with a higher A/R on the exhaust will improve top end over the stock set up. So will a good exhaust.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
Exhaust is already taken care of with a BIC DDP and 3" all the way back (delete cats of course). Cams would be worth it though, but not the rest is what your saying?

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Let me suggest that you get another head, and do your work before removing the head you have. That way you don't have to worry about leaving things open to the elements. I think it's safe to say that after 4 head gaskets, and shaving the head each time if done properly, that your head is probably not still within spec.

What was the procedure in the MHG job? Was the block properly prepped for the MHG? How long has it been working since it was done? Being that you are "checking" receipts, how well do you trust your mechanic? And is he familiar with our motors? If it's a shop that mostly does domestics, your tolerances may not have been followed as tightly as you think.

SupraN/Asty

N/A-Built T(slowly)
Feb 6, 2007
Greensboro
If you have loads of money buy a built head from titan motorsports, 3,500 dollars later you will have a built top end

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
The block/head wasn't shaved each time the head gasket was done. Only the very last time (as per receipts). The entire rebuild was done by the previous owner, so it's all a paper trail. Everything was prepped/rebuilt properly by a local engine shop that is apparently familiar with the engine, so I would ASSUME things were done right. But then again, we all know what assume means...

As for how long it's been running for, it's been going strong for a good 35,000km or 22,000 miles. Seeing as the engine still does run fine, and there's very minimal coolant leakage, you think I should try and get the car to a shop and do a full compression test to see if it's running high? That would ultimately tell if the head was in spec or not I would think, or would it be skewed due to the leak?