Tookwik's 7M-GTE COP ignition mod w/ stock electronics...pics and writeup

flubyux2

Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
Apr 2, 2005
st. pete, fl
www.myspace.com
There are no oil galleys that are wide open which would squirt. The only way it would come off is when it's slung from the lobes. My oil was cold and thick enough that it was cohering but as it ran longer, it warmed up and the oil thinned.... Then it started to get slung off the lobes. You can def do this enough to diagnose valve tap and verify correct shimming but that's it. If it heats up, "hella" bath in the plug valley. Lol

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
Any idea as to the part number for the connector that usually plugs into the coil pack subharness? The engine side of things has collapsed, and has no connectors on it at all, so i need to replace them.

I'm pretty sure its 90980-11268, but does anyone know for sure?

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
I ordered my coils a few days ago. Very excited to not have to mount the stock coil packs now that I have a FFIM. I got the seller to include the wiring harness for the connectors as well. I wonder if it is long enough that I don't need to extend mine...

Hmong_1G

Name the Place and time.
Dec 31, 2008
California
Just got mine done today. Idle awesome and quicker throttle response. Pulls freaking hard for only 8psi then before on factory unit. A+ over just buying aftermarket plug wires. My boost gauge reads 6 psi all the way through on the stock ignition system. On the is300 my gauge reads 8 now. Anyone experience this?

flubyux2

Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
Apr 2, 2005
st. pete, fl
www.myspace.com
I was hitting 12psi on my setup with no boost controller. I retrofitted a ct12a wg actuator to my ct26 and ran 17psi regularly with no blow out. It pulled extremely hard for a ct in the midrange. Of course, near 5000, the power fell off hard, as did the boost.

Hmong_1G

Name the Place and time.
Dec 31, 2008
California
Hum... just out of curiosity... tookwik... must the coils see ground or mounted to a grounding point? I see that you made fancy grounding/holding clips. Is the factory wire ground in harness efficient enough?

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
These systems don't need an external ground for the coil unit itself- that's just how they work. Crude explaination:
The spark energy goes out the bottom of the coil pack and jumps the first plug gap, then it continues through the head to the plug with that coil's wire and jumps that gap, then returns to the coil via the plug wire.

I would also like to express my thanks to Tookwik for concieving this mod and laying it out for everyone to try. I have done this on my engine and aside from a bum coil, it has been issue free for me. Thank you very much!

Hmong_1G

Name the Place and time.
Dec 31, 2008
California
Update. I started noticing slight missing at idle when vehicle is warmed up. Thought It was plugs. Checked them out, and looks good. Concern I checked all the three coils for cracks. They check out too. So... just testing I installed back my factory 15+ years 7mgte factory coils/wires. Missing at idle is gone. HUM. There is a good and bad side to this. With the factory 7M ignition I lost 2lbs of boost at gauge. With the is300 coils installed back I gained that 2lbs of boost back. So... I honestly think although It is a waste spark system, the is300 and 7m has different dwell times or something else to have such an effect. I can't prove this as I don't have hard data and schematics.In all good boosting I rather prefer the extra 2lbs of boost ( no spark blowout, complete burns in boost) then a slight missing at idle ( I can feel the misses through my vehicle thanks to urethane mounts).

satx88supra

Aug 16, 2009
San Antonio
Mannn I'm in the process of gettin my supra on the road and this is diff on the list of things i gotta do. Seems sooo easy for the response you get from the engine. Has anyone else had any issues running this set-up? How do you think it will respond on long trips (use my supra as commuter mostly) of say 150 miles a day?

toyzforme

I need deeper pockets
Jan 1, 2008
Summerville, SC
I have had no problems with it and I have had them on there for almost a year now. I also took a trip this past summer from Charleston, SC all the way up to the northern part of Ohio with no problems other than a fuel pump relay. which isn't related to the COP mod. I think the guy who posted a miss might have a bad coil pack. It can look good from the outside but still be starting to go bad. I am keeping mine on the car.

Inygknok

Tropical Paradise
Sep 22, 2005
Puerto Rico
By the way, no one ever mentioned it. Will the stock NGK BCPR6ES spark plugs work just fine? I see people running autolites and another set of the NGK's, but not these.

Hmong_1G

Name the Place and time.
Dec 31, 2008
California
UPdate on the is300 coilpack upgrade on my car. After doing some research and following JETJOCKs igniter ground mod, my missing at idle is solved. :icon_bigg
IT ROCKS.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
I love my IS300coils..

I loved that IT WAS SO EASY..

just switch out the old ones, hook these babies up, and start driving..

the fact that they didn't go all the way in had me worried, until I turned it on for a test fire and everything worked flawless..

just find a way to hold them down and you're gold, and even if you don't they don't really move around, but it's highly recommended...

flubyux2

Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
Apr 2, 2005
st. pete, fl
www.myspace.com
Update, still running mine after 3 or 4 years. It's been so long, I don't even know how long it's been on there. I am running j30a4 spark plugs, double iridium gapped at .048" and no misfire at redline and 17psi on the stock ct.

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
This is on my list of things to do. I have a hookup at Lexus, my friend's dad is a GM at one of the dealers and can get me the coils and wires at dealer cost haha