Tookwik's 7M-GTE COP ignition mod w/ stock electronics...pics and writeup

bryanintexas

aaarrrrrggghhhh!!!!!
Apr 4, 2005
spring, texas
supraguy31;1067686 said:
Ok, I cant source a Set of these out anywhere in El Paso, TX or within 500 miles but there is a 99 Lexus GS300 here local. Im wondering if the coils from this Year and Model car will be the correct ones that I could use.

so long as it is the 2jz-ge w/ vvt-i. if it is not vvt-i, it will have a distributor, no individual coil packs.

bryanintexas

aaarrrrrggghhhh!!!!!
Apr 4, 2005
spring, texas
supraguy31;1068034 said:
He said that it had coils on it. Are the coils the same between the 2 vehicles.

as long as it is a 2jz w/ vvt-i, yes, they should be the same. I can confirm it when I get to work tomorrow and check out the lexus epc.

supraguy31

May 10, 2005
Pembroke, NC
Ok, I got my coils with wires for $50.00 shipped.....

When I sit the coils on the 2-3 and 6 Plug, I dont hear that click sound as a Regular wire would. Does these coils just sit on top of the plug and not click on or should I hear that clicking sound.

Thanks as this is all I need to know to feel secure about the setup.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
What kind of plugs are you using? Please be aware that some plug manufacturers make the plugs slightly shorter than others, and can cause issues with connections.

supraguy31

May 10, 2005
Pembroke, NC
Im running the NGKs BKR8EIX. I bought them from a shop here in town that deals with nothing but MKIII Supras and RX7s. He said that they were like a colder plug and would be the best.

Last edited:

boltz

Jun 17, 2005
Van
The coil pack its self does not CLICK on. it has a spring that contacts the spark plug. However the other wires off the coil packs should click on even if it is faint click.

supraguy31

May 10, 2005
Pembroke, NC
Got it and thanks. I just went outside and secured mine down to the Head. Turn the Key and she fired right up and purring like a Kitten. I guess I can say that Im the First COP Ignition in a MKII 7MGTE Supra.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
BillyM;567924 said:
Let me start by saying I like this design. ALOT! Infact, I would like very much to replace the ugly coilpack on my FFIM'd 7m car with a slick hidden set of coils like this, but I refuse to dive into a swap without reviewing all the variables, and with coils there is one specific one that I am concerned about.

I read the entire thread and did not see a single mention of "DWELL".

Infact, the word isn't mentioned once. ...so does anyone happen to know the dwell timeframe on these coils vs stock? I mean, that's a pretty integral part of coil swapping, and you are likely overcharging/heating the coils or not charging them well enough if you are using a non-stock ignitor.

If anyone wants to get scientific about this, say the word. Lets track down a o-scope and see what how those things stack up. ...anyone wanting to get defensive without any data (or even a basic understanding of coil charge-time), don't waste your breath.

--billyM

has anybody addressed this post yet?

(just wondering as I'm about to swap the coils on to my motor)

tookwik4u89

Red T-shirt
Apr 6, 2005
Rockford, IL
I've been driving on them all summer in sweltering heat....that's as scientific as I plan on getting with it....lmao.

Mean and clean...

p1101733_1.jpg

turbogate

Life is Boost
May 18, 2005
South, FL
I've been driving on these coils since last year with my AEM and I've never adjusted the dwell setting on the AEM. I've been boosting 19psi on a decent size turbo T04 60-1 and have never had any worries about spark :icon_bigg

flubyux2

Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
Apr 2, 2005
st. pete, fl
www.myspace.com
the issue regarding dwell and saturation time of the primary coil winding is more or less a moot point when using coil packs intended for the same type of ignition system. the 7mgte and 2jzge-vvti are both wasted spark. they fire at the same rate and frequency as opposed to comparing wasted spark and sequential spark like a 2jzgte or 1jzgte.

we are using wasted coil packs on a wasted ignition; no problems. still driving my supra around with the vvti coil packs. just changed the plugs about 200 miles ago, ngk 2330's at 0.028" gap. runs perfect, no misfire or blow out with 14psi daily on a stock CT.

enjoi.this

Formerly ChrisC
Aug 18, 2008
Kelowna, BC
That looks awesome. Sure cleans up the bulky coil pack. Now im inspired to do that for a future project since it looks so clean.

7Mboost

7M Powered
Aug 15, 2006
Gainesville, FL
Roughly how much and where are you guys taking some off of the last coil pack? Also did anyone trim the 2nd/middle coil pack?

Anyone?

Last edited: