Took down an RX-8

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
I ended up next to a silver RX-8 at a stop light. I could tell he was going to gun it because he was slowly creeping right before the light turned green. We both hit it at the same time. Through first gear we were nearly even, but then I pulled away in second. I had clearly won by the end of second and I didn't want to go too much over the speed limit so I let up once I shifted into third.

I assume he was stock.

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
My mods are listed in my profile. Basically exhaust, intake, boost controller, and some other goodies.

IwantMKIII;923427 said:
not to bust on your kill here but its my understanding the newer RX-8's are slugs...i could be wrong though
Yeah, I wasn't surprised I beat him. I think the RX-8's have been way over-hyped. The RX-7 turbos were lighter and had more power, if I recall correctly.

DegreE

Banned
Jan 11, 2008
Memphis & Miami
The RX8 is a slug, but its mainly a handling car. They're great for Auto-X. And for being a 1.3L, they get really shitty gas mileage.

Maybe if Mazda would have boosted it from factory it would be as bad. But these automakers are so scared to create a factory boosted car these days you don't see as many factory forced induction cars as you did in the 80's-early 90's.

I think it has to do with the EPA. Goddamn hippies.

themadhatter

Jul 5, 2006
Vegas
what are you talking about man there are all kinds of factory "boosted" cars running around now adays srt-4,ss cobalt,wrx,evo,mazda 3 speed just to name a few

May 19, 2006
SE Wisconsin
themadhatter;923645 said:
what are you talking about man there are all kinds of factory "boosted" cars running around now adays srt-4,ss cobalt,wrx,evo,mazda 3 speed just to name a few

not to mention all those nice diesel trucks runnin around

NocturnalKitty

May 22, 2005
Ca/Az
yeah i have heard the same on the rx8 as far as the slug bit, though they aren't bad in the corners...had a fun time w/one in some twisties one night while i was driving my old mk3. seemed like he wanted to play a little so i gave chase...he let up after a few mins. it was fun though.

Last edited:

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
You can't feel them accelerate at all. I was in a lightly modded one and I didn't even notice him floor it. The kid also got like 15MPG mixed... My friend gets better than that in his 5.7l Camaro.

buldozr

Jan 9, 2007
North Texas
burning gas in the rx7/8 is the least of your worries, its burning oil you have to worry about, expect atleast 1 to 2 quarts per oil change needed. Usually its due to improper break in but most is just the nature of the beast.

Sil

Evil Empire
Jan 13, 2008
Milwaukee/Chicago
buldozr;924147 said:
burning gas in the rx7/8 is the least of your worries, its burning oil you have to worry about, expect atleast 1 to 2 quarts per oil change needed. Usually its due to improper break in but most is just the nature of the beast.

If your rotary is not burning oil, you've got yourself a problem. Rotaries squirt oil into the housings to lubricate the apex seals.

GeneStarWindGSW

Been To The Other Side...
Mar 25, 2007
No Man's Land
www.bidmingle.com
Sil;927299 said:
If your rotary is not burning oil, you've got yourself a problem. Rotaries squirt oil into the housings to lubricate the apex seals.

This is correct because i own a RX-7 :biglaugh:
i always watch my Oil pressure guage.

Btw, the RX-7 has a neat feature called the idiot cluster which tells you if anything goes wrong in the car. Supras should have these :biglaugh:

GeneStarWindGSW

Been To The Other Side...
Mar 25, 2007
No Man's Land
www.bidmingle.com
Well if your talking about RX-8 thats a big different story.

My 88 RX-7 has been real good to me it just eats a quart of oil after about 5k-10k miles or depending on how you drive because it squirts more oil in the more your on the throttle.

arizzle

Lov'in the boost.
Nov 1, 2006
burnaby, BC
the rx8 makes more power then the twin turbo'd rx7.. but the rx7 has alot more torque then the rx8. and i know that the rx7 would kill my GTE. ive tryed my GF's brothers fd3s vs my supra and he gave me a good run!!! rx8 make more power without the turbo option which makes the car have more power butno torque. but good kill/

Last edited:

buldozr

Jan 9, 2007
North Texas
arizzle;927372 said:
the rx8 makes more power then the twin turbo'd rx7.. but the rx7 has alot more torque then the rx8. rx8 make more power without the turbo option which makes the car have more power butno torque.

"As of today, August 22nd, 2003, the revised US-Spec Horsepower Rating of the RX-8 is 238 HP for the Manual 6port RENESIS, and 197 HP for the 4port Automatic RENESIS. The performance numbers advertised ARE NOT CHANGING. They have done many tests, in house, with magazines, and outside third parties, and they are still observing RX-8's that will do 0-60 in 5.9-6.0 seconds and quarter mines in 14.5 (best observed 1/4 mile run at Pomona Raceway was 14.48 at 96.1 MPH)" source - rotarynews.com

Specs on the FD3S(third gen rx7)
"As complex as all that sounds, it worked seamlessly and every third-generation RX-7 had a full 255 hp available at 6,500 rpm and 217 lb-ft of peak torque at 5,000 rpm."
"The third RX-7 did generate some astounding numbers. Road & Track had an R1 blitzing from zero to 60 in 5.5 seconds with the quarter being consumed in 14.0 seconds at 98.5 mph. Motor Trend had it doing those same tricks in 5.3 seconds and 13.9 seconds at 99.7 mph. This was one seriously fast car."- source is edmunds

rx8 sucks donkey balls for quarters, rx7 was where its at, emissions and reliability is the reason for no boost on the rx8. Engineers are trying to use technology instead of brute force for power...(which is not a bad thing by any means). Just dont post something that was pulled out of your ass.