Tokico Shocks + Eibach Springs Install Question

lxsirprize

Nov 11, 2010
WV
Hi all!

So I just got my Supra back from the shop after a BHG and now its time to work on here stance. I've been shopping around and I think I'm going with a Tokico Illuminas and Eibach Pro set-up. I guess the real question is, how difficult of a job is this? I have never done a job like this before. Are there any special tools needed? Spring compressor or such?:aigo:

Order Details
Part NumberDescriptionPrice ExtPrice EaQuantity
Tokico EU-3635 Tokico Illumina shock for 86-92 Supra rear, with TEMS.
Tokico EU-3634 Tokico Illumina shock for 86-92 Supra front, with TEMS.
8211.140 Eibach Pro-Kit Springs for MK3 Supra

Any feedback would be great!

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
A spring compressor came in handy, as for the job, it almost takes more time to take the rear interior out than it does to swap the springs. If you have a decent jack and set of stands, it's probably a 4 hour job by a lone shade tree mechanic. I think it took about 2, maybe 2.5 hours for myself and a buddy of mine on the side of a dirt hill that was his parent's driveway. The first one takes the longest, but after that they're a little easier.

As for the stance, I think this is still my favorite suspension setup for a Mk3, they look downright AWESOME with the Eibach springs. However, you're going to want to learn to 4x4 your way over speed bumps, dips, and the like... unless you just don't like your lip/front bumper. :p

Good luck, and do as much homework on the subject as you can (TSRM have a section on this? I would imagine...) before tearing into your car, ESPECIALLY if it's your DD. Been years since I did mine, so I don't remember if we hit any snags... ;)

lxsirprize

Nov 11, 2010
WV
te72, Thanks a bunch! I've been soliciting help from more seasoned techs than I :1zhelp: She is my DD, so I definitely don't want to curb her!

I appreciate the reply.

Now off to spend some money....:naughty:

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
You're welcome sir, but hopefully someone who has done this more recently will chime in with any tips. I remember it being straightforward, but like I said, it was at least 5 years since I did mine. Good luck!

supraguru05

Offical SM Expert: Suspension & Vehicle Dynamic
SM Expert
Dec 16, 2005
louisville ky
It is very straight forward. On the rear of the car you don't have to unbolt any control arms. On the front of the car you must unbolt the upper control arm from the subframe and swing it out of the way to remove the shock. Be careful with the brake lines up front. That would be the main thing you could break when doing this. also remember to support the lower control arm when you unbolt the upper form the subframe.