Tokico Illuminas w/ TEMS vs. adjustable Konis

encomiast

boosted kraut
Mar 31, 2005
germany
hi all,
I'm currently driving on stock springs with adjustable Koni shocks and will soon get my -30mm Fintec springs installed.
now I'm pondering if I should stick with my Konis or if it might be worthwile to upgrade to TEMS compatible Tokico Illuminas plus TEMS computer and actuators.... (wiring them into my non-TEMS car should be fun :p)
I think the Konis would do quite good with the aftermarket springs, but I really like the idea of being able to adjust the suspension stiffness from the inside of the car since I'm using it as a daily driver around town as well as on the autobahn and on winding country roads.
from what I've read, the Tokicos are supposed to be a bit stiffer than stock TEMS shocks, especially in sport mode - sounds quite interesting to me.

does anyone have any experience with TEMS + Tokicos + mild lowering springs and can give me a general idea?

(BTW in case someone wants to mention it, I'd personally rather steer clear of Tein Flex with EDFC since the german police is quite anal about aftermarket parts. aftermarket parts like springs have to be approved by the local authorities, which is next to impossible without a valid EU certificate from the manufacturer (which I have for the Fintecs, but which doesn't exist for TEINs AFAIK). shocks however are not affected by this rule.)

thanks a lot in advance for any input...!

P

PunaMKlll

well ive heard alot more complaints about tokicos than i have ever about konis so id recommend sticking with konis.

encomiast

boosted kraut
Mar 31, 2005
germany
thanks for your input, guys.... I appreciate it.

ma71supraturbo said:
TEMS is not worth the pain in retrofitting it into a car that didnt come so equipped. Stick with the konis IMHO
BTW is it really that hard to retrofit? I mean I don't need (read: I don't want) the TEMS computer to automagically stiffen the suspension on hard braking, cornering or acceleration anyways, so all those inputs could be discarded and replaced with a third switch (à la SOGI TEMS mod).

it's a shame that TEMS has never been available here, I'd love to see how well this system performs in real life. it really really has me intrigued.

Bishop92t

Supramania Contributor
Apr 18, 2005
USA
www.ma70.com
The Konis I saw had to be removed from the car to adjust them. The Tokico Illumina II's are cockpit adjustable with the stock TEMS. That being said, TEMS is a pretty weak system IMO. It's cool for the gadget factor but the ride quality doesn't change that much. Even the Tokico's don't have that much of a change between full firm and full soft. Retrofitting it IMO is a complete waste of time. If you want cockpit adjustable suspension check into something like the Tein EDFC.

$pecialk91Turbo

Apr 10, 2005
Tampa
+1 for no TEMS. I think that almost eveyone that has TEMS gets rid of it when they upgrade. It was cool telling people what it was when they saw the lights and I did feel a difference in ride quality, but now I pretty much keep them in full firm mode.

I plan on going with Koni's + ST or eibach spirngs in the near future.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Allan_MA70 said:
what about doing as some people seem to have done fiting the TEMS actuators to the koni's ???
Can't see how that works as you have to remove the springs to adjust Koni's
(You press them full down and the piston engages the adjuster then you turn the shaft)

Allan_MA70

Banned
May 1, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
sorry it was this i remembered
MR 1JZ wrote on Wed, 09 March 2005 13:26 @forums.toymods.org.au
I am upgrading to Cusco Zero 2 Coilovers next week, so my KYB Damper adjustable suspension is available, these were a special release in japan and they used an electric dampening adjustment mechanism, but these ones have been modified to use the original tems adjutsment saving $500 on a KYB controller, and they work superbly! These are ten times stiffer than stock suspension and reduce the amount of roll normally associated with supras and soarers :lol:

It has no leaks and is in excellent condition :)

This is excellent suspension, for daily use, hills driving and occasional track use as well :)

It is also lowered by about 1.5 inches

I dont have pics as yet as the suspension is still in the car , but if someone buys it ill pull it out before my new sus gets here and find an alternative for my car.

Looking for offers around $500

mk3forme

Apr 5, 2005
Lexington KY
I currently have the konis with eibach springs and am happy with both. A little more bounce then I would like but a great improvement over stock. I have read numerous complaints about the Tokicos as they are great at first but within like a couple of months go totally soft. I personally dont think they would be worth the money.

encomiast

boosted kraut
Mar 31, 2005
germany
ok, if it's true that the Tokicos wear out prematurely, then this is definitely a knockout criterion :(
too bad, I'd love to have those little electronic gizmos in my Supra :p

thanks again guys, you probably saved me a lot of time.