to replace head gasket or not

apexi287

Jul 24, 2005
Knoxville, TN
ok this may sound like a complete waste of money to some but i think that its necessary to do but im looking for opinions/ideas..i just got my car back from the shop maybe a month ago but have only drove my car through one full tank of gas and like everyone knows thats not much/long at all..basically they did a shity ass job on my head and headgasket job and i had things to fix and whatnot...i finally got everything working and running right then that old ct26 blew so now im doing a turbo upgrade..i have a t4 manifold hks wastegate and garrett to4 turbo..basically what im asking is since im doing this upgrade should i just replace my headgasket with a metal one and arp studs(i have both just laying in my garage)...im just affraid the stock headgasket wont hold up im looking for eventually around 500rwhp..so should i just do it now or is the stock headgasket torqued right perfectly fine?...peaople say that the headgasket and stock bolts are perfectly fine if torqued the way there supposed to be..just let me know what you guys think i should do..i dont want to have to rip my engine apart more then i have too..so if the stock one torqued right will be fine for a while ill stick with that...just give me your thoughts and opinions i want this done this weekend..thanks

CSquared

Apr 5, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Personally unless you have been through the headgasket yourself already I would replace it. I had a pretty shitty experience when i first got my supra... none of the headbolts were touqred beyond 40lbs so she died a slow painful death. Since then i trust noone to do work on my car...

i dont know... if you plan or replacing any internals in the future or getting any headwork done I might try to ride it out... If you dont plan on getting back in there any time soon then I'd definetely do it.

Keep in mind when you do replace the stock gasket with a metal gasket you should pull the block and get it resurfaced. Some guys get away with it but obviously the imperfections on the block are going to prevent a perfect seal. So it may be a bigger job than you are thinking.(depending on your knowledge/skill level.)

In general it Seems like guys start popping headgaskets on the stock turbo once they get past the fuel cut(12 or 14lbs... i forget).

apexi287

Jul 24, 2005
Knoxville, TN
the head is completely brand new do you really think it needs to be milled/resurfaced..remember ive only driven for a little more then 1 tank of gas?

CSquared

Apr 5, 2005
Atlanta, GA
The head really isnt the issue... I'd at least get it checked out regardless... Dont leave anything to chance. If the block has never been touched that's what you have to worry about. In the tsrm they say the maximum warpage on the block can be... i'm trying to look for it and ill post it back up if i find it. But the block should really be PERFECT when using a metal headgasket.

In the end i went with a stock toyota gasket with the arps down to 74lbs. i bought a metal gasket but my block turned out to be just at the maximum so that went as part of my payment for another guy's time.

apexi287

Jul 24, 2005
Knoxville, TN
so basically i have to pull my entire engine out to make sure the blocks ok?..is that what im understanding?..if so were do i take the block..just any local machine shop who will look at it and kno what to do?..ive had to many issues with companys nowadays i dont trust many places..and i want it done right..but what im hearing is that i should replace the headgasket with my metal one while im doing my turbo upgrade..correct?..just let me know..thanks

CSquared

Apr 5, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Yeah thats basically what we are saying... try to post up and see if there are any reputable machine shops in your area. It's really up to you but you will definetely blow the headgasket when you starty upping the power. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but eventually.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news ha.

Try to find a place that deals with this kind of thing often(maybe ask a local performance shop who they use)... explain to them your goals... You will have to at least get it resurfaced.

MK3Brent

Very expensive....
Aug 1, 2005
Greensboro and Greenville NC
Shit.... go for it.

If it blows, pull the head off... deck the block by hand, machine the head, and put a MHG on..

If it blows again, do a better prep job that time. :D

Sorry, but I really don't think BHG's are a huge deal... just don't drive around with one and overheat/contaminate your oil too badly.

apexi287

Jul 24, 2005
Knoxville, TN
yeah i think ive decided to drive it with the headgasket i have on now and if it blows do it then..i mean who knows maybe it wont blow since the torque is the way its supposed to be..thanks for all the help..anymore is welcome..thanks

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
MK3Brent said:
Shit.... go for it.

If it blows, pull the head off... deck the block by hand, machine the head, and put a MHG on..

If it blows again, do a better prep job that time. :D

Sorry, but I really don't think BHG's are a huge deal... just don't drive around with one and overheat/contaminate your oil too badly.
And again if it does start leaking please DON'T add cold water to a hot engine as you'll anneal the head (soften it) this will make the head useless without spending a shitload of cash to reclaim it.

apexi287

Jul 24, 2005
Knoxville, TN
ok ive changed my mind and decided to replace my headgasket for a MHG and ARP studs since my valve stem seals are leaking anyways...anyone and everyone tell me what all i should replace during this process from clamps and hoses to cam gears and whatnot...i want it to be running flawless when im done and i want to do as much as possible to make it that way im sick of doing small things to hope it will slowly get better im gonna stop running it for a week tear it down do everything and everything right..so what should i do..thanks