To PPS or Not to PPS? Now, that is the question....

csnow

Matthew 6:33
Apr 5, 2005
Palm Bay, FL
As many of you know, I bought a 92 NA. I am migrating a lot of stuff from the 89 turbo to the new 92. The 92 does not have PPS but the 89 does. According to this thread, the racks are not interchangeable.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showpost.php?p=823559&postcount=4

What is different that would have to migrated over. I figure I will need to change the following:

Rack
ECU
Make separate PPS harness to ECU

Does anyone know what else is involved with this system (parts wise) or if it is even worth migrating it over? Does the PPS make much of a difference in drivability or was it just a novel engineering concept of Toyota for that era of car. Is it worth the trouble or just rock the non PPS one? I wont be using either of the 7M ps pumps, but rather a 2J one if that makes any difference.

Thanks....

Chris

Last edited:

SPD TRP

Formerly 3rdtimearound
Apr 12, 2005
Katy Texas
Grimsta;892655 said:
I dont think there's anything novel about PPS. If I were you i'd enjoy the ride w/o it.

I don't know if you have it grimsta, but I for one kinda like mine, its really easy when turning at very low speeds or lets say while parking, but at low hiway speeds it gets real stiff.

When my speedo cable broke, I had the really easy steering all the time, made it kinda twitchy at let's say more than moderate hiway speeds, but it is manageable.

As far as installing it on a car that doesn't have it from the factory--I think you will need to weigh the time to do it versus how bad you want it.

Just my .02

Wayne

Grimsta

Supramania Contributor
May 30, 2007
Santa Rosa, Ca.
3rdtimearound;892676 said:
I don't know if you have it grimsta, but I for one kinda like mine, its really easy when turning at very low speeds or lets say while parking, but at low hiway speeds it gets real stiff.

I have an 89 turbo with it. But its the opposite on mine. If i would park or turn at low speeds, i'd have to clutch in and rev it up to get the powersteering effect to come in.

csnow

Apr 5, 2005
Palm Bay, FL
Jeff,

Any idea of what components are not interchangeable based on part #?

Does anyone have a wiring diagram of the PPS ECU plug? That should tell me what systems are reporting to it.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Grimsta;892723 said:
I have an 89 turbo with it. But its the opposite on mine. If i would park or turn at low speeds, i'd have to clutch in and rev it up to get the powersteering effect to come in.

That's not the PPS, it's a worn pump or the idle up isn't working properly...

Only time I don't like PPS is when the wheel speed is fast, but you're not going fast (if you get my drift), then the wheel gets tough to turn like you are going fast...

Or if you're insain and like taking high speed turns (on a closed course of course), then it's tough...

Keep in mind the non-PPS doesn't have as much low speed pressure as the PPS does, it's more a happy medium...

Grimsta

Supramania Contributor
May 30, 2007
Santa Rosa, Ca.
Its probably the pump, but its been like that ever since I got the car. Recently I've suspected the pump of being bad but it gives me no problem anywhere else and it doesnt leak or make noise. Sooner or later i'll be replacing the rack, and i'll do the pump too. Anyways the steering works fine when drifting cuz the engines peggin the rev limiter

The Reaper

Single, and lovin' it!!
Jan 10, 2006
Florida
me myself wouldn't bother with it. i have never had PPS and its fine. its not hard to turn in parking lots, so if i had PPS and its THAT much easier.....i'd prolly spin it so fast that when it hit full clock i'd twist the wheel off.

of course driving a non P/S supra for a year will make any P/S nice, but i wouldn't bother

but you never listen to me anyways so good luck!!! ;)

suprastanger507mgte

2x88+2x89+1x91+2x92=ME
Apr 5, 2005
Hayward , Ca
The Reaper;893444 said:
me myself wouldn't bother with it. i have never had PPS and its fine. its not hard to turn in parking lots, so if i had PPS and its THAT much easier.....i'd prolly spin it so fast that when it hit full clock i'd twist the wheel off.

of course driving a non P/S supra for a year will make any P/S nice, but i wouldn't bother

PPS is not about how hard it turns or how easily in a parking lot. It actually controls the steering feedback at certain speeds .

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
Even N/A's got PPS here, even my 87 has one :) Though don't know how good this thing actually is, cause my system isn't working flawlessly

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
No pre-89's had PPS. Not in Japan, not in the USA, not in Canada, not in Australia or Europe or Africa.

I've checked all my worldwide catalogs and the PS pump for all pre-89's is the same and none had PPS. All 89+ Turbos here got PPS and it was optional on N/A's.

Jeff

The Reaper

Single, and lovin' it!!
Jan 10, 2006
Florida
suprastanger507mgte;893449 said:
PPS is not about how hard it turns or how easily in a parking lot. It actually controls the steering feedback at certain speeds .

im not a retard i know what PPS does. i just dont see why its crazily worth it.

but i forgot he had a brand new PPS rack so i can see why he wants to use it.

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
Jeff Lange;893487 said:
No pre-89's had PPS. Not in Japan, not in the USA, not in Canada, not in Australia or Europe or Africa.

I've checked all my worldwide catalogs and the PS pump for all pre-89's is the same and none had PPS. All 89+ Turbos here got PPS and it was optional on N/A's.

Jeff

I have a wire on my PS and a wire it connects to. As I see in TSRM, the non PPS has no wires, so...? Or am I missing something?
Mine is like that! At least I think so...
SR_076.gif

The Pressure Control Valve is the one we are talking about?

Mine isn't like that. I guess...
SR_061.gif

Ckanderson

Supramania Contributor
Apr 1, 1983
The beach
meh. after owning two supra's one with and one without the difference is negligible. if you got the parts for free it would be cool but i think you would be dissapointed if you had to pay for the parts

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
Jeff Lange;893554 said:
Does your pump have wiring going to it as well?

Well...I don't recall any wires going to the pump. So is this PPS thing just about the pump? What has the Pressure Control Valve to do with PPS then?

Edit: okay, read the TSRM, it's about the pump.
But still, what the PCV is?

csnow

Apr 5, 2005
Palm Bay, FL
Jeff Lange;893554 said:
Does your pump have wiring going to it as well?

Jeff,

I have never seen a power steering pump with pps electronics. I thought the wiring/control module was on the rack only.

Chris