tms main caps

supra_ed

May 30, 2006
ohio
hey now, i was just wondering if anybody here had the tms billet main caps? the stock mains look pretty beefy to me, i would think they would git er done for any amount of power u through at them- while keeping the revs reasonable anyway. just curious if anyone had invested in these and wat a built 7m with the billet steel caps would be capable of? (ive heard 9000rpm safely)

SupraN/Asty

N/A-Built T(slowly)
Feb 6, 2007
Greensboro
I dont know how much the built motor with the caps could handle, but I dont think that they are worth the money that titan wants for them. Stockers should be enouph.

supra_ed

May 30, 2006
ohio
i was thinkin that too. my engine machinist (a lot of experience with 7ms) said my built engine w/ stock caps could handle 7500rpm. i was just wondering if anybody had them. never heard anyone talk about them

89turbosupra

Jun 10, 2006
oxnard
supra_ed said:
problem with some small blocks. its wat im used to worin with i guess
Main girdles solve a lot of problems. I helped build a 350 that turned 8700 all season. Now Im building a 496 that will turn 7300.

supra_ed

May 30, 2006
ohio
IJ. said:
Ed: Not great pay close attention to the holes in the deck for cracks :(
dont do this to me man :3d_frown: are they worth building?! i thought any 7m was pretty stout- ur startin to worry me

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
back to the original post questions....

i am using titan main caps in a few of the built engines im putting together. they are VERY nice pieces. IMO for the extra 500 bucks (when you are putting 5-10k into the engine like most normal built engines) is far and away worth the extra piece of mind that they are upgraded and great pieces.

the ONLY problem with the main caps is that if you use arp main studs...you cant use the washers they come with as they dont fit in the recess in the titan caps....BUT you can order the proper size set of washers from ARP for pretty cheap so no big deal.

supra_ed

May 30, 2006
ohio
r any of these engines u built early blocks? i guess im tryin to see how much power u can safely get out of it

2jzmk3

the main caps are only for serious engine builds. anything past 700-750whp i would put them in. if you spend 3-5k in your motor, why would you half ass it at the end?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Ed: As far as I can tell the material is much the same from early to late production (This is just based on how each machines it's quite hard for Cast Iron)

As I stated earlier pay close attention to ALL of the holes in the deck of the early blocks before spending a pileOcash on machine work or aftermarket caps.