Titan Mk3 carbon driveshaft weight info (R154)

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Not sure if this has ever been posted anywhere before, so I figured I'd chime in. Picked one of these up recently from Titan, took a little while, but I was in no rush. When it came in, I was a bit shocked. I knew it would be light, but I had no idea just how light.

On a home scale that reads to tenths of a pound, it was 11.4 lbs. The next day, I weighed a stock one out of my buddy's car on a similar scale, came out to 32.6 lbs.

Honestly have no idea if it will have much benefit that is noticeable (given the scope of everything else we're doing to this car), but hey, I lost 20 lbs of rotational weight, and I don't have to bother with that damned carrier bearing. :p

Also, not at all worried about critical speeds with this one. :)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
bloodasp90;1962677 said:
what kinda stress can a Carbon one take before twisting (crushing)??
More than most Mk3's will ever produce ;)

They do however fail catastrophically if they receive any surface damage...

I'd be looking at some sort of tunnel cover if I were using one.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
IJ.;1962678 said:
More than most Mk3's will ever produce ;)

They do however fail catastrophically if they receive any surface damage...

I'd be looking at some sort of tunnel cover if I were using one.

Are you referring to a 'net' to shield from FOD?

Also, would the diff fail before the drive-shaft? I've heard stories of domestics twisting aluminum drive-shafts. On a very rough guess, what do you think it would take to stress one to breaking?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Yep any sort of cover to prevent FOD, I know Duane lost one on his 1000rwhp 7M but suspect it was surface damage that caused it.

Really have NFI what the limits might be as I've never used one sorry.

bloodasp90

JZwhore of JAPAN
Nov 9, 2007
on the river
i wounder if titan was asked to do so, (take one and accually test it) if they would do it to give the numbers to really have a selling point?? hmm..