Tires: General Exclaim UHP vs Kumho SPT

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
So i got some new rims, and they are 17x8 + 32 and 17x9 +38.
I was going to run some 275's in the rear, but i dont feel i need them with the power im currently at. Nor do i feel like potentially having to touch my fenders.

So im looking at:

245/40/17 - front
255/40/17 - rear

but heres my situation... after reading the good and the bad reviews on each one of those tires, the price is about the same, and they each have their good's and bad's. I did notice the spt's have a higher speed rating, but they were also a little heavier... i believe 2lbs per tire. so 8lbs more.

whos used the spt's and do you like them? and whos used the exclaim uhp's?

General link:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...44WR7EUHP&rearTire=54WR7EUHP&place=4&minLoad=

SPT link:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...44YR7KU31&rearTire=54YR7KU31&place=5&minLoad=

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
i've got the SPTs right now. Poodles says they're loud but i can't tell much difference in road noise between them on my supra and the ASXs on my mom's 03 protege. However, the ASX would have probably been a better choice given the fact that i sometimes have to drive in snow. I'm getting along fine with these though, and haven't felt the need to switch to any other tire

7Mboost

7M Powered
Aug 15, 2006
Gainesville, FL
If you plan to track it seriously I would at least step up to the trusty ol' Kuhmo MX's, General's period are a joke of a tire track wise.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
Use: Daily driving, "spirited driving", but i say "daily" somewhat loosley because i borrow my girlfriends car a lot, as in every chance i get. hahaha. So i dont mind a tire that will wear a little faster... i LOVEEEE my potenza s-02's that are on the rear, but i cant afford those... they came on the car so im just enjoying them while i have them.

i've had axs's, but they were on my last supra, n/a, it was lowered and because of the camber it had they wore the insides pretty bad, but they werent a bad tire... didnt notice any extra road noise.

and another reason i dont want the asx is that its the heaviest out of the three... which im really trying not to add any extra weight if i can but still get a decent performance tire on there. the generals are only 24lbs per 255/40/17, which isnt bad...

snow? dont get any where i live, plus my supra will NEVER see snow, and i do mean never. Its lucky to see rain... and its spring time here, so im not worried about hydroplaning or anything like that right now.

Lets keep the "track" talk out... my car is by no means ready for a track. so thats not even in my consideration... plus there $150+ a tire... no thanks.

edit: to give you guys an idea of how much (or little) i drive, i've driven less than 3k miles on my car since sept. 24... sooo yeah.

Last edited:

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
I use the Exclaim UHP's 225/50/16 all around. 400 bucks canadian for the set and installed. They're a great tire, grip really well. But if they touch snow or ice watch the fudge out.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Sorry bud, but weight is a terribly consideration when talking about a tire...

Unless they're using lightweight materials (like carbon fiber) to intentionally lighten the tire, the weight is going into strength and the compound...

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
I've had the ASX, SPT, MX, Gforce TA, Gforce Sport TA and the KDW tires. I drive my supra a lot and the ASX's sucked taking fast turns and my car would slide, the SPT's did a little better and the MX were the best of all the Kumho's. I now have the BFG Gforce sport and they have handled better than any other tire on the car, making several hwy pulls and lots of turns and running at the local auto x events. I won't be changing them for any other tire and they are quiet as well. If you are going to use this for your road racing go MX or Gforce sports.

For Drag MT radials all the way. But I know you are an twisty's guy!LOL!