Tires for stock 16's

excelsupra

Jan 24, 2009
Cerritos, CA
Forgive me if there is a thread on this, or if I posted in the wrong forums. I was wondering what kind of tires you guys put on your stock 16's? i spun out yesterday in the rain going 30mph on a freeway ramp. Tread depth on orginal goodyear eagle GT's was at 1/32 tread. Lol i know, but im waiting for my tax return. My question is, does anyone know of a brand that has a 225/50/16 that still makes there tires with "raised white lettering"? If not what tires did you get, or recommend? Thanks in advance!

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
I bought a set of BFGoodrich G-Force T/A Sports...for my Miata in 16s.

I decided to go back to the stock 14s and the Supra needed tires too, so now thats what it has lol. I havent driven the Supra with the G-Forces, but the Miata was incredible with them. Excellent forward traction, despite the lack of sidewalls, and definitely good horizontal traction. I've yet to break them loose. No doubt having triple the power in the Supra will change that, but its a great tire.

excelsupra

Jan 24, 2009
Cerritos, CA
lol, i dunno what it is but i like the look of it on our old cars. cost wise it doesn't really matter to me, since tires are one of the more important components on a car, since this is going to be my daily. I mean I'm not going to spend $250/ tire but it doesnt have to cost $50/tire. Know what I mean? Anyways based on reviews it seems like The Kumho Ecsta SPT, Yokohama S-Drive, or the Goodyear Eagle F1, are pretty good. Discounttiredirect.com offers free shipping on tires so probably will get them through there.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I liked my SPT's, but I'm going to go BFGoodrich G-Force or Michelins next time.

SPT's are great, but when they break away, they break away HARD and you lose control.

No longer a fan of them because of this as they'll feel fine and then you're spinning...

I know a lot of vette guys that run the Kumho ASX's though, so you could try those. They'll last longer than the SPT's and be quieter as well...

excelsupra

Jan 24, 2009
Cerritos, CA
Poodles;1242196 said:
I liked my SPT's, but I'm going to go BFGoodrich G-Force or Michelins next time.

SPT's are great, but when they break away, they break away HARD and you lose control.

No longer a fan of them because of this as they'll feel fine and then you're spinning...

I know a lot of vette guys that run the Kumho ASX's though, so you could try those. They'll last longer than the SPT's and be quieter as well...

I'll look into those ASx's, man i wish my tax return would come already :D

Who

Supramania Contributor
Take a look at the Hankook k106. They are V rated for our stock size and the price is right. I bought a set of 4 and they ride smooth and quiet. Hankooks are stock tires for many of the car manufacturers.
I will give Kumho a high five for building a brand new tire manufacturing plant in Macon, Georgia. Hankooks are made in China.

gelboy1015

Vroom Vroom!
Jan 1, 2007
Houston, TX
I had Bridgestone Potenzas on my sawblades 225/50/16, though they looked wider than that and gave my car an aggressive stance. They were great tires, but I got new rims so theyre put aside. Now I'm rocking Michelin Pilots on 17" rims. I recommend the Potenzas because theyre pretty quiet and give a smooth ride with pretty good grip. I've never had a problem with Michelins either.

KicknAsphlt

Occasional Peruser
I ran Fuzion HRI's on my old N/A, good tire for the money. Only issue I had was when I slammed on the brakes, I felt like I was on skates when I T-boned the lady that pulled out in front of me, but that could've been from me shocking the brake system so suddenly. I've got Riken Raptors on my truck, but they're 17's. Other guys in my club compare the to the BFG G-Force T/As. I love them so far...

got_boosted

I need a turbo! >:(
Mar 3, 2006
Sacramento, CA
Poodles;1242196 said:
... I know a lot of vette guys that run the Kumho ASX's though, so you could try those. They'll last longer than the SPT's and be quieter as well...

I've been running ASX's for a year now, and I LOVE them as a year round street tire. They are sticky enough in a straight line that my clutch went first lol, they grip pretty well in the rain, and the sidewalls are very solid. Made my car handle SOOOO much better even in 225/50R16 on stock wheels. I'm planning on getting them in 255/45R17 when I get my 17x9's all four corners.

RazoE;1242441 said:
You can fit up to 255's on the stock sawblades if you're looking for traction...

I'm assuming straight line only? If I'm not mistaken, that much sidewall will make for a very shitty cornering feel.