tired of push starting this car

dsm_tuner260

Nov 1, 2009
Fort Wayne, Indiana
ok ive push started this car way to many times. it only happens every 2-3 days. ok so heres what is happening i will go to get in and start my car but it will not crank i hear the relay click but not the soliend ive got power to the small wire with key in start i have battery voltage to the starter last time i checked it was 12.34 and this was all done when it wouldnt start. i at first thought it might be my security system but im thinking that might not be the case since im hearing the relay click.
i do have my battery rear mounted but its been like that for over a year and its now just doing it. i just swapped auto to manual tranny right before winter. so pretty sure that nothin was messed up there.
if i lock my car and wait like half hour or sometimes just a few minutes it will start right up. i did replace the starter about a month ago with one off another car and i tested it before i put it in and it was good but i just find it hard to be a starter since it dont do it but every few days.
anyone else ever have this happen or know where it possibly could be?

Vrank!!!

hahahahaha
Dec 17, 2009
TX
check the wiring in the auto to manual swap, maybe something came loose, otherwise, what the previous guys said. Just cause that plug goes on there doesn't mean it's making good contact

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Try running a fairly thick jumper wire (12ga prob fine) from the battery directly to the starter trigger terminal next time it wont start (MAKE SURE THE TRANS IS IN NUETRAL). Its a common problem that the trigger wire in the harness has high resistance over time. If you check it with a volt meter it will show 12v, but once the circuit is loaded it can drop a significant amount of voltage. If it fires up with the jumper wire, you can look into doing the popular "starter relay mod"

dsm_tuner260

Nov 1, 2009
Fort Wayne, Indiana
ok ill try that next time it happens but it never happens to me when i want it to only when im out never at my work or my house lol. the auto harness is fine no loose connections i made a connector to to have it think it was always in park. when i checked the trigger wire i used a testlight and i checked the battery with a volt meter. dont ask why i was in a hurry to try figure it out before i had to leave for work. so maybe when i have time tomorrow ill get it to act up. its been two days.

only problem is i really cant crawl under my car like id like to lol

rocketguy13

Sep 5, 2006
dallas texas
i used to have that same problem after my 2jz swap. a friend had the same thing after his 1jz swap too. it was easy to fix. the starter solenoid is getting voltage just not enough to engage the plunger. on mine i put a relay at the starter and sourced voltage directly off of the starter big wire. so the original wire that was powering the solenoid was powering the relay instead and when the relay was triggered it put 12v from the batt pos wire on the starter to the control side of the solenoid.

p1560650_1.png

thats how i did it. took about 5 mins and i never had to push start it again.

Last edited:

rocketguy13

Sep 5, 2006
dallas texas
ah that sucks. i have a 2jz if you want to buy it. i can put tags on all the wires you need to hook up to help you wire it in to your car.