Tire Shredder's MK2 7MGE budget NA screamer build thread

Sawbladz

Supramania Contributor
Mar 14, 2006
Oshawa, ON, CA
I can attest to the limited traction! lol

This engine really woke Steve's car up. The Mk2 should have come with this much power from the factory.

SupaMan

Want The Boooooossttttttt
Oct 12, 2006
Cape Coral,Florida
oh my jesus what exhaust is that my mk3 has to sound like that!!! ill stop at nothing to match that sound!!

i love the video do you have a version i could save or maybe email it to me? your car makes me wanna go fap fap in the corner.

Tire Shredder

Sep 15, 2005
Oshawa
SupaMan;1127925 said:
oh my jesus what exhaust is that my mk3 has to sound like that!!! ill stop at nothing to match that sound!!

i love the video do you have a version i could save or maybe email it to me? your car makes me wanna go fap fap in the corner.

bwahahatha that's an awesome post...and a very nice compliment. thanks man.

exhaust is a doug thorley header (sold as TRD), magnaflow cat and a Brullen exhaust. It's all 2.5" mandrel bent stainless steel. The Bruellen exhaust includes a resonator within the piping. Brullen was a company based in toronto selling high-end exhausts (when new, the muffler alone was $400...)They fabricated everything, including the mufflers in house. Unfortunatley, they went out of business a couple years ago.

I have a high quality version I can send to people if they like, just send me a pm with your e-mail address.

thanks for the compliments guys!

supra-b

Sep 25, 2005
west palm/fl/NYC
I was holding off rebuilding a 7m/na for my mk2, I was going towards a 2j/na. I dont know after seeing the vid I might continue on the 7m. Ur car sounds awesome, I have the brullen also but I guess the 24valves changes that exhaust note big time.

Tire Shredder

Sep 15, 2005
Oshawa
supra-b;1133094 said:
I was holding off rebuilding a 7m/na for my mk2, I was going towards a 2j/na. I dont know after seeing the vid I might continue on the 7m. Ur car sounds awesome, I have the brullen also but I guess the 24valves changes that exhaust note big time.

thanks again guys.

the exhaust note didn't change much...the 7m just sounds a little more modern...just a hair smoother but the same, very similar sound the 5m has. do you have headers? they change the sound quite a bit...

if you can get a 2j cheap, go for it, starting with a better platform is always great. however, NA/7m's are almost free! mine was! and parts are easy to find. There is also zero fabrication required to do this swap, just putting on the right parts....so the 7m has all of that going for it!

a lot of 7MGEs are in a poor case of tune and neglected with high mileage...just having it rebuilt and putting it in a mk2 is some huge changes. amazing what the motor feels like when it doesn't have to lug around the mk3 on it's back. That being said, turbo mk2s are even more awesome :D

SupraRon

Supramania Contributor
Jan 2, 2008
Canada
Love the vid Steve. The car sounds awesome, but then again I had the luxury of riding in it! :biglaugh: Again, excellent work! :aigo: If it's not too much trouble, send me a high quality version. I'll send you my email addy.

Thanks,

Ron

Tire Shredder

Sep 15, 2005
Oshawa
thanks so much guys! I am indeed happy! the car is pulling very hard with these cold temperatures...such a blast to drive!

i'm quite sure that oil leak is the front main. It's not leaking enough to show up on the ground still, and the car isn't loosing any according to the dipstick. It's very close to the end of the season, so I'll tough it out. I should have time to fix the car during the christmas break. if not, it can wait until the spring.

girlfriend got me a TRD shift knob for my birthday, a nice addition. Weird how the little things (like things you touch) can totally change the way the car feels to drive and interact with.

I'm turning my attention to my winter car, a 1991 toyota corolla. When I recieved it, it would stall when hot, so the rpms had to be around 3000rpm all the time to drive it, headlights and tail lights didn't work, it didn't start, weird electrical problems including a stereo you have to punch to turn on, and a massive exhaust leak. no hood prop, missing interior parts and the windshield washers didn't work.

I've got almost everything fixed now. I picked up a new starter today and some 2 gauge wire to upgrade the power, starter and ground wires. a new exhaust manifold is on it's way to solve the leak. runs like a top! 435,000km!

so, is it weird that I can't wait to put amsoil in the 7M-GE?

Last edited:

Tire Shredder

Sep 15, 2005
Oshawa
I went autocrossing at the picton airport this weekend with some friends. I had one of the best times I've ever had in an afternoon. the car worked beautifully and I did quite well. The track was very fast and nearly everybody spun their car at least once. I finally pushed too hard and with hot tires on my last attempt spun it around 180 degrees. The car felt great and was very steerable with the throttle, although understeering quite a bit in the sweepers....I had to enter very slow and exit fast. If I came in too hot or sliding a bit the front tires wouldn't set properly. The brakes worked great too. It was just a great day to see a payoff of all my work...I was truly happy with the car.

anyways, here are some pics!

staging
25zgx3s.jpg

some oversteer
cqn7r.jpg

a 4 wheel skid.. notice the weight transfer but with straight wheels!
2l9m5oi.jpg

accelerating
2beiqp.jpg

approaching a gate....fast!
9srx4h.jpg

the crew
9a7ll5.jpg

x3ihl5.jpg

Videos!
First, a half decent run experimenting with a bit of trail braking, or at least...some breaking with steering input. thus, the smoke lol. worked quite well though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxbNsDZr97M

this was a great run but I got too greedy at the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYMeTwo_CNA

Last edited:

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
great job man! cool videos and pics. I want a mkII now. :D :D (well...always have, but more than ever!)

by the way, since it came to mind, what is that whine? its obvious in the second video.
diff? tranny? it doesn't sound bad, i've just heard it in cars/racing games and i have no idea what it is.

Tire Shredder

Sep 15, 2005
Oshawa
it's the powersteering pump that's pooched boys, and making my car sound like it's supercharged. It works fine and isn't leaking any fluid, but it is very loud. I will have time to go to the junkyard in two weeks, hopefully I can find a cressida or supra there so I can get a new one!

glad you guys liked the pictures and videos!

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Apr 5, 2005
Bozeman, MT
The car looks like it has come together nicely.

Hopefully the front main doesn't cause you too much grief.

Steve, are you by chance related to Troy?