Tips on transmission removal?

toml

Jul 24, 2005
Adelaide, Australia
Does anyone have tips on removing the transmission by itself? (Auto a340, 7M-GTE)

I've only ever removed it whilst pulling the whole engine, and wasn't sure if there's anything specific I should watch for whilst dropping only the transmission.

Thanks

boost PSSH boost

SM's Welding Guru
Apr 4, 2005
Marshall, WI
Loosen the motor mounts and tilt it back, use 3 feet of extensions for the upper bell housing bolts.

Other than that, my advice is to just pull the motor with it. It takes less time and doesn't involve bench pressing an a340e all day.

tookwik4u89

Red T-shirt
Apr 6, 2005
Rockford, IL
I wouldnt pull the motor for that unless you have no way of getting the car up high enough....

Bell housing bolts
2 brackets
torque conv bolts
cooler lines
drive shaft
trans mount
speedo cable
wire harness
shifter linkage

rumptis

나는 제프가 당신을 사랑
Aug 16, 2005
North Vernon, IN
It's much easier to pull the entire engine and trans together. I have done both and will never pull a tranny by its self ever again....in a MKII or MKIII supra.

There is no other option in my book

tookwik4u89

Red T-shirt
Apr 6, 2005
Rockford, IL
I guess I underestimate the convenience of doing it on a lift! I can get it out in 20-30 min. I guess it probably sucks if your in the garage.

BRIAN

Supramania Contributor
Jan 7, 2006
socal
I put my car on jacks and had the tranny out in 30 min, my first time took me almost 2 hours though. Take the whole motor out, what the hell you guys smokin?

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
^ lol, yeah... I'll go against the doubts and say you could....

How long did it take you to get everything lined back up, the starter back on, and all that jazz?

We'll go on saying dropping the trans only is fastest, but you can do SOO much more maintenance w/ the engine out as well.

bountykilla0118

In Pursuit of 500rwhp
Jul 16, 2005
Atlanta GA
Its easier to pull the tranny by its self. It takes me an hour by myself in my drive way but i need someone to help take off of the engine ..... the hard part is getting the spindal(*SP) to line up with the engine to bolt it back up...... . If u go to the hardware store and buy two long bolts that are thin and long enough to slide through the tranny and engine it make 100x's easier.

Taking it out!
1) Drop exhaust and driveshaft (i drop it from the turbo back and driveshaft i drop it from the U-joint i leave connected to the diff)
2) Put a jack under the tranny and then drop the tranny from the rear support/cross-member not sure wat the technical name is but u cant miss it.(the engine and tranny will tilt backwards and toward the ground)
3) Losen the two top bolts first and then the other 8 i believe
4) Then losen the 2 wing brackets on the bottom of the engine and connect to the lower part of the bell-housing
5) Find another person or 2 to help wiggle the tranny lose from the engine

Putting her back up!
I used another jack and a piece of wood to raise the front of the engine higher so that the bell-housing would have more room when re-installing. I just lifted higher from the harmonic balancer ..... i doubt that it would cause a problem but some people might not think its the greatest idea but in 5 years never had a problem b/c of that ......

1)All u need is a good jack and a decent piece of wood to keep the tranny on the jack in a level manner.
2) Lift the tranny up with the jack and line up the holes. Someone might need to lift the front of the tranny a bit to line up the holes
3)Slide the hardware bolts through and start to tighten them evenly 1 by 1 and thats its.

About 4hrs if u move slow or dont have any air tools ... i hope that helps

NATAN666

yarrrrr
Apr 4, 2005
BC
user.dccnet.com
yes dont listen to the guys sayign its easier to take out the engine altogethere... that simply does not make sense... in the time itll take for you to unhook sim[ply the wiring harness, and all otehr restraints, you could have the tranny on the floor.

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
Am I the only one who thinks lining the engine/trans up out of the car is worth the extra work and oppurtunity to fix/replace a bunch of other parts while you're at it?

I don't know anything, I drive a mkII for pete's sake.

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
rumptis said:
unhooking the wiring harness takes like 2 mins....?????

Psshh.... if you have to clean out your glove box... 10 screws and that harness is outtie

*edit*
Jason, next time we pull an engine, we're doing a step by step and a time-lapse thing to show how efficient it really is.

I'd say an hour, and me and Jason could have an engine/trans on the floor. If you don't mind greasy hand prints all over the side of your car.

bountykilla0118

In Pursuit of 500rwhp
Jul 16, 2005
Atlanta GA
tookwik4u89 said:
I guess I underestimate the convenience of doing it on a lift! I can get it out in 20-30 min. I guess it probably sucks if your in the garage.

20-30mins yea if u are doing the work in a shop and very damn skilled. I know my car like the back of my handDont feed him pipe dreams. Come now ..... :3d_frown: if he is asking how to take the tranny out ..... more than likely he has never done it before and the 1st time is always the hardest and take longest time thats why he is like ---->>> :1zhelp:

bountykilla0118

In Pursuit of 500rwhp
Jul 16, 2005
Atlanta GA
mkiiSupraMan18 said:
Am I the only one who thinks lining the engine/trans up out of the car is worth the extra work and oppurtunity to fix/replace a bunch of other parts while you're at it?

I don't know anything, I drive a mkII for pete's sake.

Hey man u are right but lets stay on topic. His question is about finding the easiest and fastest way of taking the tranny out ..... Not what should he do once its all out interms of seals and gaskets etc. But u are right though

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
^ Exactly. it's all in what he has to work with and how much he feels like biting off.

Honestly, if you don't... hell even if you DO know what you're doing lining up the engine/trans is a real PITA under the car, auto or 5sp

bountykilla0118

In Pursuit of 500rwhp
Jul 16, 2005
Atlanta GA
I just upgraded my clutch last week ........ It was a breeze once "i thought outside of the box" and tried that idea about buying 2 long and thin nut and bolts.