Tinting Hatchback?

Rob_Supra87

87NAPWR
Aug 3, 2008
Millbrae
just curious, who here has tinted there hatchback? preferably someone with a brown supra? Im thinking of tinting mine for a while so I just want ot see how it will look lol

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
get it done professionally. I got mine on my 91 done for a bit over ~200 for all 3 windows, lifetime warranty on material and labor. I didn't do it for looks, I did it for the uv protection to maintain the perfect interior... but that purpose has been defeated :3d_frown:. Damnit, I'm pissed again, but I'm thread jacking, so anyways yea, get it done professionally. BTW, you can't see through it at night, you might have to use your side mirrors.

7M-KDL

Seeking high numbers
got mine done by "pro" its not his main job but hes been doin it for like over 10 years. did all my windows, front, quarter, hatch, and windshield banner for 170...it took him about 7 hours because i took it to him right after i bought it and i hadnt cleaned it or anything. he had to scrape all the defroster lines to get them clean. im going to have to take it back though because i want it darker. it looks awesome btw, doesnt really matter what color your car is. tint (regular black colored tint) makes ANY car look better. doesnt make any car look good but it will look better than it did without tint lol

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
My dad and I did it on the MK3 I used to have. Lets just say the rear hatch is a pain in the butt to do. Take it to a pro. We tried a few times and in the end we just gave up and he told me to take it to a pro but I ended up just leaving it since it was half decent.

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
I've never had any problems seeing through the tint on my rear window. Sure.. a little fuzzier than normal but not too bad.

I agree though... pay a pro to do it. He will have the right tools, skills, etc to get it done quickly the first time - and if you have any problems... they just fix it.

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
Tint has always been one of those things that I've always wanted to do myself, but I have always taken it to someone to do.

I've pretty much done everything on my 280z and my Supra myself. If I don't know how to do it, I will learn. I don't like other people working on my cars.

I've been contimplating doing the tint on the Supra, but its just so easy to take it to someone. Then when it bubbles you can just take it back and tell them to fix it!!

reydio

Supramania Contributor
Oct 3, 2008
Pearl City
I did get mine done by a professional. Mine came out to almost $300 for windows, rear hatch and rear small windows. Why so expensive? I got the tint that reflects heat away from the interior. I wanted to protect the 22 year old fabric interior. I'm gonna do the front windshield later when more funds become available. The tint is almost like a mirror type, while the front is clear. And yes lifetime warranty.

Rob_Supra87

87NAPWR
Aug 3, 2008
Millbrae
I plan on taking the car to a professional.....so if I tint my windshield there goes my defroster? if not then will the defroster mess up the tint?

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
Having tint won't mess up the defroster. Removing it will most likely hurt the defroster.

That said I've had mine done for just over a year and use my defroster regularly and haven't noticed any bubbling/cracking/fading.... Yes I live in FL but the humidity and not having a garage to park in creates a horrible fog on the windows in the morning.

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
Yea just ask them if you can use the defroster. If no, go somewhere else cause good tint doesn't have a problem with the defroster. Tint places also have a removal service if you're worried.

FullNelson

Sep 17, 2007
Coastal Georgia
I just tinted mine myself. I thought the doors turned out good, untill later in the day you could see it bubble. The quarters were a bitch and I couldnt get them to contour to it right. luckily I didnt have a 4' wide piece of tint to try for the hatch, cuse I would have dicked that up too im sure.

clifs: Go to a professional. They can gte cleaner lines, no bubbles and will warantee their work and the tint is better quality.

7M-KDL

Seeking high numbers
i would think ammonia will work as well. ammonia breaks down the glue in tint and also turns it purple. that is why when you tint you windows you have to pay attention to what kind of glass cleaner you use, unless of course you wanted purple windows.