Timings Off

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Emik87t said:
okay, now the guy that did the timing asked how it should be to set the timing. Is it like a domestic, i mean does the engine have to be in a certain position. The guy was asking and i didnt have the right answer so i told him i didnt know.

Emik87t said:
Well the guy did it because he rebuilt the engine, and he's done quite a few 7ms/2jzs

Does that make sense? And why would he leave it that way?

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
The CPS is a tooth or two off.

You also need to make sure you have the diagnostic terminals jumped. If not, the timing will fight you.

Last, you need to verify that the timing marks when pointing to zero, is indeed TDC on the #1 or #6 piston.

Ckanderson

Supramania Contributor
Apr 1, 1983
The beach
MDCmotorsports said:
Last, you need to verify that the timing marks when pointing to zero, is indeed TDC on the #1 or #6 piston.

Absolutly.

Thier is another mark on the pully thats 180 off. I set mine off that, car ran, just not well.

Emik87t

GameOver
May 30, 2007
Iowa
do i need to leave the diagnostic box jumped the whole time, or how long? I talked to the guy and he said that it's the ignition timing thats off. I'm going to set it at TDC tonight and see how it turns out.

Emik87t

GameOver
May 30, 2007
Iowa
We did a little bit tonight and when we got the car at TDC on the #1 piston, the cam gears weren't pointing straigh up, should they be? If not, is there a photo of how it should look?

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
Emik87t said:
We did a little bit tonight and when we got the car at TDC on the #1 piston, the cam gears weren't pointing straigh up, should they be? If not, is there a photo of how it should look?

Were they pointing straight down? If so, keep going another 180 deg.

The cam marks should line up with the notches in the cam guard (its a steel plate that sits behind the cam gears).

When these marks line up, the crank pulley should be at zero.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
After doing that^, if they still don't line up, then they were installed incorrectly. If this is the case, thank the Toyota Gods that the 7M isn't an interferance motor and don't go back to that mechanic. At TDC, first cam lobes pointing straight up, cam marks lined up with the cam guard, once you're to this point, you can then instal the cps, some people have to wiggle them around some, but it should go in with little difficulty. Jumper the diag terminals the entire time you are setting timing once that is done.

Emik87t

GameOver
May 30, 2007
Iowa
Ya, im not going to that guy again, and thanks to everyone who has chimed in to help me, hopefully everything goes good tonight and all the work will pay off in chicago. Thanks guys, and gals if there are any.

Emik87t

GameOver
May 30, 2007
Iowa
Do i set the timing with a gun? You said to leave the diagnostic box jumped when setting the timing, how exactly do i do this?

Emik87t

GameOver
May 30, 2007
Iowa
Oh and quick ?, say someone was to leave a tool on the crank pulley and start their car and oh i dont know, one of the blades on the fan busted off, should they be concerned? And where can THEY get a new one? hehe

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
A tool? I'm guessing a breaker bar? That's only for when you are getting ready to pull the motor and disasemble. It's much easier to do it like that with the starter than muscling it out of there.

New fan? Toyota. The fans are different from the GE and GTE IIRC...

Dunckel

Jan 16, 2007
Spokane, WA
Emik87t said:
Oh and quick ?, say someone was to leave a tool on the crank pulley and start their car and oh i dont know, one of the blades on the fan busted off, should they be concerned? And where can THEY get a new one? hehe

You wouldn't happen to have a video, would ya? :biglaugh: