Timing

supraman508

Sep 19, 2007
maryland
I'm gona put pic's of what i'm talking about concerning my timing issue.I looked in the t.s.r.m for timing in page IG-22.It explains that after seting the no.1 cylinder to TDC to take the oil cap off and turn the crankshaft clockwise until the cam nose can be seen.i did that and my intake pulley notch that is suppose to align on the timing cover notch is at 2:00.my exhaust pulley notch is aligned with the notch on the timing cover notch.I was wondering if i should unscrew the intake pulley without moving the intake cams and line the notches with the intake pulley with the notches on the timing cover notch.i hope this makes sence to yall,please help.

Attachments

• april timing 10 0&.jpg
    april timing 10 0&.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 15
  • april timing 10 0&.jpg
    april timing 10 0&.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 16
  • april timing 10 0&.jpg
    april timing 10 0&.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 17
  • april timing 10 0&.jpg
    april timing 10 0&.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 16

Kevin

7mgte -> 7mgte swap done.
Apr 20, 2009
Windsor Ontario Canada
did you take the cam gears off? if so did you make sure that you aligned the pin to the right hole on the gear? i didnt even look at the cam lobe. i just made sure the pin was in the right hold on the gear and made sure the crank was at tdc and that the gears both pointed to 12 o'clock position

supraman508

Sep 19, 2007
maryland
i haven't gotten that far yet.just turned the intake pulley to i saw the cam nose point up at me like it said in the t.s.r.m.so should i leave take the intake pulley off without moving the cams and when i put the cam pulley back on and the timing belt back on and turn the car on will my valves hit the pistons.

Kevin

7mgte -> 7mgte swap done.
Apr 20, 2009
Windsor Ontario Canada
if the timing is messed up. your valves shouldnt hit the pistons as the 7m is a non-interference engine. it just wont start. or it'll run like ass if it does.. but most likely it wont start if the timing is off.

supraman508

Sep 19, 2007
maryland
ok thanks,thats a big relief to know since i just replaced my valves last year.i'll put the belt back on and the distributor and let you know what happens afterwords.

supraman508

Sep 19, 2007
maryland
So i tried it booth ways with the cam pulley and nothing,so i put it back so the intake notch is aligned with the timing cover notch like it was before and she does'nt start.I get a code 51 and will check the throttle position sensor.everything is hooked up concerning the engine harness.but the codes don't lie so i'll have to double check.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
You need to put the match mark on the notch, and the crank be straight up. Problem is, the crank pulley(not the damper) is not marked, and needs to be marked before you start.