Timing Question (Simple)

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
While i wait on all the parts for my 1JZ swap to arrive, i'd like to pep up my 7M-GE in the meantime, cause i'll still be driving it for at least two months or so while i wait on shipping and availability.

I've read other threads that say to advance the timing to provide a performance boost and some people have reported an economy boost. Currently, timing is set to the stock 10 deg., so what is:

a) Too far - 14 deg.?
b) The best setting for most people

I run the car constantly on 98 RON Unleaded Fuel (thats 94 US) and the car does NOT have a catalytic converter.

Cheers and TIA.

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
My brother ran 16 degrees on 91 octane and supposedly, 16 is the safe limit. I'm turning mine up to 14 though, just to be safe(r).

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
My topic that I made a decent bit ago has most of this stuff. I'm sure you saw it. Timing greatly helped the turbos but I have no idea what it will do on NAs. I have no idea if it helps fuel economy or not though, sorry.

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
i'm curious about this as well.

since toyota spent lots of time engineering and testing their cars why wouldn't they have made it the best they could?

i dont understand why what they say isnt the best setting... i'd figure they would GO for that performance and economy...

RIPDOTCOM

May 22, 2005
Tallahassee, FL
I had a post up about going higher but did a ton of research on th eweb over the past couple of days. You can run at 16' al day but it is highly unlikely that you will make any more power than at 14'. The only way to know for sure is to dyno tune but all the evidence I have read stated that the most power will be made at 14'. I'm sticking to that untiul someone shows me a dyno tune between 10-16' and shows where the most power is being made.

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
Well, i've apparrently been putting in E5 fuel, which Tesco bills as 99RON fuel, which is US 95 or so, I never put in anything less than 98 RON anyway, cause its a performance engine.

In 4 days, I get more moolah to splurge on stuff, and oddly, it's time for its MOT as well, so i'll do the MOT at stock, then alter the timing to 14 deg. and take it for a dyno run, assuming Power Engineering are still around.

phoenix6

Rockin' the blades
Aug 13, 2006
Serena's Place ;)
sorry, but are you guys talking about aligning all the timing up then setting the crank at 14' instead of the suggested factory 10'? Im rebuilding my head and when everything goes back on hell Ill try this, I run premium anyways so it wont be a problem.

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
what could running halfway between 10 and 15 do when running regular gas? i'm hoping i can make my engine run smoother if i back it off to 10 (it hit between 10 and 15 right after starting for the first time after BHG fix)

supramacist

Banned
Apr 8, 2006
The Grassy Knole
Ma70.Ent said:
My topic that I made a decent bit ago has most of this stuff. I'm sure you saw it. Timing greatly helped the turbos but I have no idea what it will do on NAs. I have no idea if it helps fuel economy or not though, sorry.

Not to knock you but why is this in the na section if you guys are talking turbines. I am Na and proud of it man. My ride looks just as hot as yours or anyone elses for that matter, although 1 or 2 of you are rolling tirds, but atleast your rollin, dig it.

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
What in the world are you talking about?

If you read my topic you'll see someone brought up a turbo and showed that it gave him decent gains so I brought that up as an example because it might help the NA just as much.