timing prob?

casing

Jun 15, 2006
ottwa
Ive had my car running for about 3 weeks now after a headgasket job. Everyone who has been in the car since say that it was faster last year. My buddy thinks if we fiddle with the CPS and move it up or down a bit we should get it going good. The supra is STOCK besides a con filter and a opne peice driveshaft. We set the timing at 8 degrees when we first got it running and its been ever since. Anyone got any tips on what my timing should be at? or if i just fiddle with my CPS a bit? please guys let me know.. a Civic beat the the other week.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
casing said:
are u fucking with me or what

No, you have to use a paper clip in the diagnostic port to jump 2 pins.

First pic, step 8a, you cant just hook up the timing light and adjust. You have to have those pins jumped to adjust the timing... As far as I know....

Jin-Chuu

Sep 13, 2007
Fremont
yep theres a lil diagram on the left side under the hood. It will tell you where to jump the diag. port. After you do that hook up a timing light, take a look, adjust the cps until its 10 degrees. Tighten it up, and when you take out the jumper, look to see that the timing advances to 12ish.

casing

Jun 15, 2006
ottwa
lol sorry didnt know u needed to jump the diag.

would me being off as much as i am be enough to lower my preformance? or will i even notice a difference when I set it to the correct spec?