Timing Issue Need help!!

mk3dude

May 16, 2006
Toronto
I Have been struggling for the longest time to set base timing to 10" but cannot. i set everything properly cams and crank shaft all at 0 as well as setting the cam position according shaeffs picture but seem to have no luck. when i try to turn the cps in order to get it to 10' with diagnostic box jumped it is way passed the bolt which holds the cps in place. and at the absolute max the cps turned with the bolt holding it in place i can only set it to my timing is to around 13'.

so after doing some research on the forums i thought i mite have some play on the crankshaft and because the woodruff keys have worn out so today i took it apart to notice the woodruff keys appear to be in good shape with no play and tightly fitted on.

p1085545_1.jpg

p1085545_2.jpg

so i have no idea what my next option or step is any help would be greatly appreciated. and sorry for the long post.

Thanks

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
Pull the CPS about half way out and turn the center about 1 tooth and reinstall it.
FYI I am having the prob. First I go to far, 15 degrees or so then not far enough, 5 degrees or so. Just have to find the sweet spot.

mk3dude

May 16, 2006
Toronto
92nsx;1085547 said:
Pull the CPS about half way out and turn the center about 1 tooth and reinstall it.
FYI I am having the prob. First I go to far, 15 degrees or so then not far enough, 5 degrees or so. Just have to find the sweet spot.

i kept trying but had no luck i tried that for almost a whole day but had no luck. i guess i will give it another shot.

Thank you

Fozbo

7M Love
Apr 4, 2005
Norman, Oklahoma
Recheck the timing belt / cam gear tooth alignment.

I had the same problem. The car actually ran for a couple months like this. I would set the timing to 10 degrees BTDC and it would eventually get out of whack. A couple of mornings (once on the day of my statics and dynamics test!!) the car wouldn't start at all. I checked the CPS countless times. It too was at the absolute edge of the adjustment, which allowed it to run ok most of the time.

I finally gave in and looked very carefully at the timing belt alignment. The timing belt seemed to be aligned exactly, but when viewing it directly perpendicular to the markings from the front of the engine, I found that the marks leaned toward each other just a little. I took the timing belt off the cam gears and realigned it; it probably took me around 4 or 5 tries and lots of cussing to get it right. After that, I was able to set the timing with room for adjustment either way and the car ran beautifully.